Maestronet Forums

Bridge skin and bridge protector question

LSF2

I was just fitting up a fiddle up and here is a question I was pondering:  When you are setting up a violin with a string that comes with a bridge protector (little piece of hard tubing to prevent the e from digging into the bridge) and you are putting a skin on the bridge, do you then keep the bridge protector on the string and place it over the skin, do you slide the bridge protector out of the way, such as down on the the string to the winding as unnecessary but maybe a backup if someone wants to use it, or do you otherwise take if off in case it comes loose and rattles around.  I've always put the bridge protector back in its place and then installed the string over the skin with the bridge protector on, sort of as a double protection against the e digging in, but wonder if that's a good idea or practice, and how others do it.

1 hour ago, Mark Norfleet said:

I never use the tubes and highly discourage the players I work for from using them.  They tend to mess up the string groove in the bridge and sound unless they are removed or put in a place where they can do no harm, such as wrapped around a peg.

Same here, if you want to maximize the sound of your E string get rid of the tube.

Thanks all.  Those little string protector tubes will be removed, forthwith, and never make their appearance again in my shop.  Of course I am referring to the ones on the Gold Label "e" strings.  Since most of my career I made cellos and then violas, I never had them to deal with, but recently, making violins, I started wondering.  It does make sense that the string coming from a little tube would get a bit of dampening effect as opposed to coming straight off of the skin.  You can always learn some new things at MN, no matter how long you've been at this.

It depends on what the client is used to, and the condition of the notch if it's an old bridge.  If it's a set up for my own stock, I remove the tube.

If it's a clients instrument I follow the lead of how the e string is when it comes in.  If I've made a new bridge and the customer is accustomed to the e tube, I will put it on but explain that it's not necessary with fresh parchment.  A lot of "ifs" are involved.  

I have recently been in the habit of removing the string protector, but instead of placing a skin under the e... I dab a bit of thin super glue to harden the slot to prevent it from collapsing under the string.... seems to work well.

Anybody else do that? any negative side effects?

5 hours ago, Mat Roop said:

I have recently been in the habit of removing the string protector, but instead of placing a skin under the e... I dab a bit of thin super glue to harden the slot to prevent it from collapsing under the string.... seems to work well.

I tried that for a while. I found it protected the bridge well, but I found the sound of the E harsher and more metallic compared to parchment/drumskin. I've found for my tastes the drumskin with no glue under the top, just on the sides, gives me the protection, sound and response I like best, but that's just my opinion.

5 hours ago, Mat Roop said:

In my experience, the drum skin has been much more durable.