Maestronet Forums

Thickness around lower soundholes

Looking at some of the latest thickness maps of CT scans in strad posters, there are some instances of a slight increase in belly thickness below the f holes as well as to either side. Does anyone have experience of looking inside instruments with this in mind to assertain if it was originally intended or if it is a result of the belly being thinned at a later date? If the belly had been thinned it would definitely be easier to scrape in areas away from the f holes rather than right up to them so this effect could easily be the result. On some, it would also appear that the bass bar area was also thicker and this would even further support the idea that the belly had been thinned without removing the bass bar. Perhaps the original makers did that anyway.

Interested to hear any thoughts on this.

My uneducated guess is that it's a result of later scraping and not the original intention.

My intuition as an amateur maker is the the plates should be thinner all around the edges and heavier towards the middle, just like a speaker. I feel that makes more sense. Then again, I'm a nobody. I'm also interested to hear other opinions.

As you well know there are all kinds of violin plate thickness maps to look at - maybe you forgot.

I do have one that I made that can't be much over 2 mm around the lower hole area yet that example of lack of material doesn't really seem to cause any noticeable problems for me.

Some of these other guys probably leave them about 6 mm thickness wise there I'd guess.  

From other threads I have gathered that many makers cut the f holes before completing the graduations.  This naturally leads to a little more thickness around the holes just as you suggest. 

I cut my f holes after graduation... but I am an amateur so what do I know?

6 hours ago, Owen Morse-Brown said:

Looking at some of the latest thickness maps of CT scans in strad posters, there are some instances of a slight increase in belly thickness below the f holes as well as to either side. Does anyone have experience of looking inside instruments with this in mind to assertain if it was originally intended or if it is a result of the belly being thinned at a later date? If the belly had been thinned it would definitely be easier to scrape in areas away from the f holes rather than right up to them so this effect could easily be the result. On some, it would also appear that the bass bar area was also thicker and this would even further support the idea that the belly had been thinned without removing the bass bar. Perhaps the original makers did that anyway.

Interested to hear any thoughts on this.

Yes.  It seems the makers tended to leave somw extra wood between the soundholes and edge.

Looking at as many thickness maps as I could find left me with impression that they like worked initially to generally near uniform thickness on the generous side of their target. Then followed with refining to plates with additional thinning in places, most in the bouts, flanks and along the center line. And there seems to a sort laziness about carrying this toward the edges.

But these are just impressions.