Maestronet Forums

Cello Identification

edarh

I came across a cello that has a 1968 Lyon and Healy appraisal that dates it 1810-1820 from Saxony and a value of $500.  What would something like this be worth today? It needs work but seems to be restorable.  I am trying to assess whether it is worth buying?  Thanks for the help.

58589B22-F337-4160-87B3-9768988E245C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8fe10a46122bba6fe4007a88bf5555f6.jpeg

E8D17ACF-E833-42E1-93E2-4E94C1371830_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.56da02fb84b66f875c1221d563072f63.jpeg

ADA98B71-B9C6-4524-B5F7-C2F87395D59B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cb0af396ba7373d7f8c59f5cca62afe0.jpegE2DF1D69-1B1E-4CAD-A7D7-B9F2F0B8A5E2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.68425ad6dc45bbbd390c6701df337799.jpegI don't have any other pictures, Sorry.

If you can get it real cheap, like under $500, you might probably be ok.  This is no treasure.  You really aren't giving us much to see about the cello.  Properly restored, it would sell in a violin shop (not necessarily private party price)for from $3K -$6K.  It looks to be a basic Markneukirchen cello and I think that estimate of age might be older than it is.  I would guess a little before (optimistic) or after the turn of the century (1900).  I could be wrong as you have shown very limiting pics.  Prepare for a bill at least of $2-3K, and that's not really seeing the whole cello...........

If the top is crack free, of if they cracks have been well repaired, it might end up sounding pretty good. A well setup cello in this area would go for 2500-3500 if in good shape. It appears yo have st least one geared peg, though.

if you can get it for 2-300, and it doesn’t have any significant cracks, sure. But those bridges probably aren’t useable, it needs pegs and fingerboard and just a set of strings is $300+. I’d sure look close myself if I had the chance.

does it have a bow/case?

A lot of these Markie cellos have the neck tilt going in a direction that makes it very hard to play on the A string.  Probably the reason?? for what's left of a shim, or projection issues?  Either way, just the fingerboard, and subsequent bridge....shim??..., strings, peg puts this up there.  That's $2K right there, with other set up things.......

24 minutes ago, Jeff White said:

A lot of these Markie cellos have the neck tilt going in a direction that makes it very hard to play on the A string.  Probably the reason?? for what's left of a shim, or projection issues?  Either way, just the fingerboard, and subsequent bridge....shim??..., strings, peg puts this up there.  That's $2K right there, with other set up things.......

With the cello naked like that, with that make a neck reset less problematic? A lot of my students have ended up with instruments like these, and they certainly don’t stand out in a crowd, but almost always they sound quite nice

16 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

With the cello naked like that, with that make a neck reset less problematic? A lot of my students have ended up with instruments like these, and they certainly don’t stand out in a crowd, but almost always they sound quite nice

Agreed.  Some sound really nice.  When "done up", most sound pretty well within their price range.  I typically don't find that it's worth doing a neck reset (value-wise), but can usually correct all the neck set issues (proj,tilt, thickness) with a "corrective" shim.  I don't love these, but if well done (and not adding to a thick neck) they can make the end result a "value added" consideration. It's a compromise, for sure.   In the last few years, I have probably done about 3 of these on Markie cello's and they came out really well.   The "nakedness" of the neck here doesn't really make it more or less problematic as we don't really know the condition of the neck set, as far as measurements.