Maestronet Forums

Cello case preference

Jim Bress

16 minutes ago, glebert said:

If this is a cello you will be selling when it is finished I would leave it up to the buyer to pick a case. If the cello is going to be lent out on trial (or shipped on trial) then that may change the equation. 

Thanks for the question which definitely changes the choice in cases. The cello is for my own use. Both my shoulders only allow for maybe 30 minutes of playing per day, so time to learn to play cello. My cello travels will likely be limited to weekly lessons.  However, my back is also shot so weight is definitely a factor. 

In that case (sorry for the pun) I would be looking at a good gig bag or a semi-rigid foam case. 

Sorry to hear about the physical limitations, but I hope cello works out well for you. I love playing cello, even though I am not very good at it. 

Having sold many cello cases of various brands in the past, my advice would be the GEWA Idea Original carbon.

https://int.gewamusic.com/product/70/gewa-cello-case-idea-original-carbon-29.html

very light, very strong, easy opening and closing. Maybe no prize-winning design, but an ideal workhorse.

Edited by Mr. Bean

I see the thread is now concluded, but would like to add a few points (sorry Jim).

Wheeled cases may seem a good idea, but are totally impractical for anything other than the smooth floors inside a building. When people use these outside, the small diameter wheels don’t give much clearance, and the back corners of the case start getting ground away on the uneven UK pavements. Over the years, I’ve seen quite a few develop holes in the corners.
All the bouncing about seems to blunt spikes quicker, and have seen some which eventually exited through the bottom of the case. The metal plate they put in some at the bottom, isn’t very thick.

Cases with close fitting lids, can be a bit tricky to align, even more when they get older. Some of the early Accord cases were bad for this, and eventually caused the case to crack where the body jammed against the lid, rather than fitting straight into the recess.

What I’ve found most important in any case, no matter the instrument, is can you get the required spare parts when needed. For many cases made overseas, it’s impossible to get any parts, so when a handle falls off, or the rucksack bracket breaks, you have a big headache.
For this reason alone, I prefer Gewa cases, which  despite not being the most modern design do work well. It’s possible to buy all of the spares, or even ship the case back to their case shop in Germany, and have the cases totally refurbished.

For approval, something like a Hiscox is perfect. They last for decades, are quite heavy, and look so out of date, that no one is going to steal them ;)
These are a perfect workhorse for a shop case, and extremely good value too.

Years ago, I used to include a case with the instruments I made, but this was a waste of time, as most people wanted a different type of case, or colour.
Best just to let clients choose their own, to suit their needs and taste.

I have seen damaged shells of Accord cases and suspected the same risk with the lightest Musilia cases (the other two did not have that problem). Hiscox is fine provided you do not have to carry it on your back, since that is impossible. Wheels on cases is a bad idea: I used to try and convince customers in the market for a case, to buy one without wheels but if they persisted, they  always had to confess being wrong in the end.

BAM and GEWA both have an excellent after-sales service in my experience: last month I had no trouble at all to order a new handle for a BAM case of over 15 years old.

Edited by Mr. Bean

34 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

I have seen damaged shells of Accord cases and suspected the same risk with the lightest Musilia cases (the other two did not have that problem). Hiscox is fine provided you do not have to carry it on your back, since that is impossible. Wheels on cases is a bad idea: I used to try and convince customers in the market for a case, to buy one without wheels but if they persisted, they  always had to confess being wrong in the end.

BAM and GEWA both have an excellent after-sales service in my experience: last month I had no trouble at all to order a new handle for a BAM case of over 15 years old.

How did you get in touch with Bam? I would love to replace a hinge And maybe see if it’s possible to fix those silly Velcro bow holders

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

How did you get in touch with Bam? I would love to replace a hinge And maybe see if it’s possible to fix those silly Velcro bow holders

You should be able to jury rig the bow holders with ties.

45 minutes ago, Rue said:

You should be able to jury rig the bow holders with ties.

No there’s nothing to attach the ties to.

”nothing to which to attach the ties.”

I think I like the wrong way better

79F7DF84-9FB9-4CBC-BF14-2A30788367DF.jpeg

13D89DFF-613C-4745-933E-559211B5A3B8.jpeg

Edited by PhilipKT
Fotos hinzugefügt (really?)

4 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I have been a BAM dealer for many years and in fact I still am. BAM dealers -at least here in Europe- have access to a sales rep. of BAM HQ in France for ordering and after-sales.

Not to prolong this, but as Mr Bean so sagely puts it - there is no case that comes near the GEWA air or GEWA Ideale. Straightforward engineering designed with Cellists in mind, lovely range of colours and good after service. Take my advice

3 hours ago, reg said:

Not to prolong this, but as Mr Bean so sagely puts it - there is no case that comes near the GEWA air or GEWA Ideale. Straightforward engineering designed with Cellists in mind, lovely range of colours and good after service. Take my advice

My endorsement was meant especially for the GEWA IDEA Original Carbon, not so much for the GEWA AIR cello case!

1 hour ago, Mr. Bean said:

My endorsement was meant especially for the GEWA IDEA Original Carbon, not so much for the GEWA AIR cello case!

Oh!:wacko:

Still for the price the Gewa air is a superb case:)

When considering a cello case, how much clearance in the upper and lower bouts should there be? Obviously some clearance, but how much is too much or does it not matter because the cello is held by the neck and end pin?

Thanks,

Jim