Maestronet Forums

E A Thompson maker from Minneapolis?

Sam Howell

E a Thompson was a violin dealer. I had a business card and appraisal from him somewhere. Came with a nice violin I got somewhere……..update.. the thread you linked was a picture of the stuff. It’s somewhere around here but don’t know where.  Wenberg book says he was a maker. I was never able to find a violin that looked like it was made by him but maybe there are a few out there 

A676B8B2-1A99-4873-B8EB-C2A061830868.jpeg

• 4 months later...

I don't have any further info on this maker, but this fiddle in my collection has a hand-written paper label that says "This violin was made from a beauro (sic) that was made for Sarah Harter (?) in the year 1819, E.A. Thompson maker"  Based on some quirky details, I suspect this fiddle is American, and was probably made by E.A. Thompson in Minneapolis.  Some odd points are the very tall ribs (33mm), one-piece lower rib, rather thick neck, and the violin itself is very heavy (442g stripped).  The purfling is cracked in several places, and the channel is chipped out in quite a few spots, too.  But to my surprise, it actually plays and sounds pretty decent.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_5323.JPG

IMG_5326.JPG

IMG_5327.JPG

IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5351.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 1:29 AM, myotis said:

Some odd points are the very tall ribs (33mm), one-piece lower rib, rather thick neck, and the violin itself is very heavy (442g stripped).  The purfling is cracked in several places, and the channel is chipped out in quite a few spots, too.  But to my surprise, it actually plays and sounds pretty decent.

Based on the pictures, I am wondering if the fluting in the volute and the back of the pegbox may have been re-worked. 

flute_rework_2.jpg

flute_rework_1.jpg

On 7/9/2021 at 4:05 PM, Sam Howell said:

I found this one in the rental inventory. I set it up, and it sounds pretty great (the local pros like it). But I can't find anything about the maker, other than this post which doesn't help much. Anyone know more about this maker--age, value, etc? Markneukirchener ware or an actual maker?

Thanks for the advice.

IMHO, the corners, 6 o'clock scroll front flutes, delta at end of flutes, and general appearance all suggest that it's an imported Markie.  :)