Maestronet Forums

Katrina's Storm

I've never seen classical violin played that way, maybe because the top and bottom strings aren't so equal in status.

It makes me wonder (again..) how many lefties are put off the violin through being forced to bow with their right arms. You usually hear the argument that it doesn't matter because both arms are equally important, but I say it's the "executive" arm that naturally calls the shots and it's the bow arm that determines when the music starts. Someone should conduct a survey to find out how many good players (of right-handed instruments, the right-handed way) are naturally left-handed and to what degree. Fewer than in the overall population I'd guess.

2 hours ago, matesic said:

Someone should conduct a survey to find out how many good players (of right-handed instruments, the right-handed way) are naturally left-handed and to what degree. Fewer than in the overall population I'd guess.

I don't know about violin players but there are more than just a few top level mandolin players who are lefty and play righty. Chris Thile being one of them.

10 hours ago, matesic said:

I've never seen classical violin played that way, maybe because the top and bottom strings aren't so equal in status.

It makes me wonder (again..) how many lefties are put off the violin through being forced to bow with their right arms. You usually hear the argument that it doesn't matter because both arms are equally important, but I say it's the "executive" arm that naturally calls the shots and it's the bow arm that determines when the music starts. Someone should conduct a survey to find out how many good players (of right-handed instruments, the right-handed way) are naturally left-handed and to what degree. Fewer than in the overall population I'd guess.

I am right handed, and have often been confused by the fact that the left hand does all the detailed work, and the right hand usually works in much more general movements.

move tried reverse playing and it is just impossible.

When I put my right hand on a table top and attempt a fingering that is basic on the left hand, it is also well nigh impossible, yet I can drum my right fingers on the table with no trouble, although only in one direction.

So the question of handedness has always fascinated me. It must be a surmountable problem, however, otherwise the world will be full of Paul McCartney’s.

Despite opinions to the contrary; I also don't think there is a "handedness" to most instruments.

Violin, guitar, bassoon, piano...both hands play crucial roles - and they learn that role easily as they learn the instrument.

But...I know there is a "mental" handedness. If you think you "need" something, odds are you will want it.

*disclaimer. Some individial physical issues may require an instrument to be "reversed". That's a different issue entirely.

4 hours ago, Rue said:

Despite opinions to the contrary; I also don't think there is a "handedness" to most instruments.

What evidence have you for this statement? How many have you tried? How many have you tried to play both ways? And even if you find it easy it doesn’t mean that anyone or everyone else will. 

So instead of answering the question you resort to inanity. 
Clearly most instruments display chirality but there are several that don’t and others that can be obtained or turned into left-handed versions. 
I assume you know this, so why be a smart arse?

18 hours ago, matesic said:

...Someone should conduct a survey to find out how many good players (of right-handed instruments, the right-handed way) are naturally left-handed and to what degree...

My left-handed friend Skip Gorman is a pretty good right-handed fiddler:

Skip Gorman plays some Old Time Fiddle Music - Bing video

15 hours ago, HoGo said:

...there are more than just a few top level mandolin players who are lefty and play righty....

Skip is pretty good on the mandolin, too:

Skip Gorman Plays Bill Monroe's "Kentucky Mandolin" - Bing video

I am left-handed.  I started on piano (right-handed piano) at 6.  Much later in life, took up violin (played left-handed).  Then took up cello (played right-handed).  Then viola (left-handed).   If I took up bass, I would have to play right-handed because the strings are so thick...Does that help??    /, ,\