Maestronet Forums

scroll graft

vlnclo

I own a William Forster Jr. cello from 1804. It's well-documented and it's authenticity is not in question. However, I see no evidence of a scroll or neck graft. If there is a graft, it must be the cleanest one I have ever seen. I'm curious about when the longer necks became common and when and where the practice started.  I can think of no better place to put the question than here. Thanks in advance for you comments.

Thanks, Jacob. I have often wondered when the long neck and also the

Tourte  style bow became dominant. I assume it was gradual and that some makers must have made both.

Duane, when was your Banks violin made? Banks could be an example

of someone who did indeed do  both.  I wonder if they worked in both formats simultaneously

19 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

There's totes a wedge going on there. 

Yes, and? The question was about a neck graft, or lack of, on a 200-ish year old English instrument. Grafts are done for many reasons, not just to increase the neck angle.

4 hours ago, duane88 said:

Yes, and? The question was about a neck graft, or lack of, on a 200-ish year old English instrument. Grafts are done for many reasons, not just to increase the neck angle.

Nothing more. Just pointing it out. And yes there are obviously many reasons as to why grafts need to be done.