Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Eyebrow injury


jacobsaunders
 Share

Recommended Posts

Amongst other things, I currently have an Anton Thir, Pressburg with an elegant pear wood lions head on my bench at the moment. Unfortunately the poor thing has had a skirmish with someone in the past, at the cost of part of his eyebrow. I am at a bit of a loss, wondering how to replace his eyebrow, without risking making things worse than they are already, or should I just leave him as walking wounded? Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Anton Thir Pressburg Lowenkopf.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless someone else might have a better idea I guess the only repair method would be to superglue the missing piece carefully (final shaping post glueing) using a needle or another pointy tool after having protected the original surface with some soap or toothpaste to which the glue can't stick. Using hide glue can be a too slobbery affair.

OTOH leaving as is won't be that bad IMO. Don't amputate the other or use Hansaplast.:angry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Or sunglasses?

never thought of that:)

29 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Do real lions have such severely overhanging eyebrows?

 

If I ran down to the hospital, and said “Doctor, Doctor, I’ve lost my eyebrow” I would be pretty pissed off if the Doctor told me that I have the wrong sort of eyebrows anyway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

If I ran down to the hospital, and said “Doctor, Doctor, I’ve lost my eyebrow” I would be pretty pissed off if the Doctor told me that I have the wrong sort of eyebrows anyway

The Doctor might be right. Do you have British eyebrows,  Austrian eyebrows, or American Redneck eyebrows?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW...hubby is missing a good chunk of an eyebrow due to an incident involving the sharp blade of a hockey skate.

I always found it added character. ^_^

If it's not a relatively easy fix...my 2nd option would be to just leave it as is and call it 'patina'...:P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a tough place to fit a piece of wood.  My inclination would be to smear on a blob of some sort of wood filler or Plastic Wood-type material, let it harden, carve it to shape and match the color with stain/pigment/varnish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Just thinking off the top of my head, which is where all the fun thoughts are located, why not get some kind of putty, make an impression of the damaged area, do a reverse mold, so that you can create A new piece that fits exactly, and then once the piece fits you can carve it to match the other eyebrow, then varnish it dark brown, or what have you, glue it in place,

And then send me some beer in gratitude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

That is a tough place to fit a piece of wood.  My inclination would be to smear on a blob of some sort of wood filler or Plastic Wood-type material, let it harden, carve it to shape and match the color with stain/pigment/varnish.

Thanks, I thought of that, but kept dreaming of everything that could go wrong and how he could look worse afterwards than he is now

15 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

 Just thinking off the top of my head, which is where all the fun thoughts are located, why not get some kind of putty, make an impression of the damaged area, do a reverse mold, so that you can create A new piece that fits exactly, and then once the piece fits you can carve it to match the other eyebrow, then varnish it dark brown, or what have you, glue it in place,

 

You missed the stage where you shout “Abracadabra”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Thanks, I thought of that, but kept dreaming of everything that could go wrong and how he could look worse afterwards than he is now

You missed the stage where you shout “Abracadabra”

I laughed so hard I startled my wife.  Maybe that omission is why it never worked for me in the past…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Thanks, I thought of that, but kept dreaming of everything that could go wrong and how he could look worse afterwards than he is now...

I have learned that one thing that can go wrong is that you smear the Plastic Wood, or whatever, on places where you don’t want it, and it becomes very difficult to remove when it has hardened.  I forgot to mention that to minimize the risk of this I mask the repair site with tape to minimize the mess.

An honest wound such has you have is always preferable to a badly done repair.  My teacher always said if you can’t make it better than it is, it’s best to do nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plastic wood!

 

YE GADS!!

 

Take a stick,,(long stick you can hold),,,,,,,,, a stick  of the appropriate  wood and grain direction and carve one end till it fits perfectly in place of the missing piece, the lion will need to do a bit of cleanup to get it perfect. (see if you can get him to wash his face,, and brush)

Then glue the joint surface of that stick onto another small stick with hide glue. After this drys, cut the replacement piece off as close to the appropriate size as is possible, maybe use the bandsaw to shape a bit after it is cut,,,, the new joint end is still glued ti the new stick at this point.

while you wait for your tea to cool, finish carving sanding the piece till you're happy with it.

Soak in water, remove the new piece, while it drys, , take the lady out for dinner,, she will be impressed that you are putting eyebrows on Lions,,,, come home and glue it on,,, in the morn,,, finish it.

Bang!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Evan Smith said:

Take a stick of the approach [sic] wood and grain direction and carve one end till it fits perfectly in place of the missing piece...

That’s impossible.  The place where the eyebrow is broken off is an irregular surface that nothing can be fit to.  First, you would have to create a smooth surface something like a very narrow patch bed.  That would be extremely difficult.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

That’s impossible.  The place where the eyebrow is broken off is an irregular surface that nothing can be fit to.  First, you would have to create a smooth surface something like a very narrow patch bed.  That would be extremely difficult.

I don't understand that at all,,,

simple task to replace it,, no problem at all,, never know it happened.

I seriously hope this is all kidding?

I'm really nothing special and don't think I'm superior, but I guess some people have some kind of talent,,,?

I could sit down and demonstrate how to do it, no problem,,, I have spent thousands of hours teaching making and how to do this sort of thing,,,,

I'm not trying to be smart,,, me thinks people sell themselves short too much of the time,,,I don't know the meaning of it cant be done.

In humbleness and gentleness your friend,,,

Evan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...