Maestronet Forums

Expert eyes please?

PhilipKT

The head isn't refined enough for Hermann Prell, and the brand is larger than any I've seen. But the work is good quality, so maybe it's one of the later Horst Prell bows made for export.

A very decent silver mounted MK bow - whether it's worth anything depends on the measurements and how it plays. You can give any bow a nominal value but it's only when you sell it that you find out what it's worth.

I am wondering how a bow stamp can survive in such good condition when the frog,  winding, and screw etc.  show so much wear and tear--can someone please explain?   Thank you!  

I have a bow about the same age (100), and the stamp is almost illegible. Maybe this  bow isn't a 100 year old Prell...

34 minutes ago, Alma said:

I have a bow about the same age (100), and the stamp is almost illegible. Maybe this  bow isn't a 100 year old Prell...

The Prell bow looks alright to me, so far as one can tell from such a superficial examination. Just because you have a worn out bow, doesn’t mean that everybody else's must be

1 hour ago, Alma said:

I am wondering how a bow stamp can survive in such good condition when the frog,  winding, and screw etc.  show so much wear and tear--can someone please explain?...

The whole bow appears to be in excellent near-mint condition except for the thumb leather, which is expected to wear and can be easily replaced.  The frog and winding show no wear.  The screw shows no wear because we can't see it.   The silver is tarnished, but the tarnish can be easily polished off.

To me the brand looks very odd, too, as if it was applied a certain time after the bow was made, no varnish, now dirt etc. the button was treated with an inappropriate tool, what could indicate that it was (taken from another) frozen (stick?), and the frog seems not to fit very well - or there's a problem with the eyelet. All in all a bit too many oddities for my taste.

OTOH, because the photos seem to be taken from an auction website, it would be interesting to know how it is described?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Blank face said:

To me the brand looks very odd, too, as if it was applied a certain time after the bow was made, no varnish, now dirt etc. the button was treated with an inappropriate tool, what could indicate that it was (taken from another) frozen (stick?), and the frog seems not to fit very well - or there's a problem with the eyelet. All in all a bit too many oddities for my taste.

OTOH, because the photos seem to be taken from an auction website, it would be interesting to know how it is described?

I got it at T2 last week, and they just said “stamped Prell” and left it at that.

this is the listing and the condition report:

“Following is the condition report you requested:

Lot 58 - A VIOLIN BOW, Stamped, "Herm W. Prell - Germany" and to the lower facet, "Germany.", Round stick. Silver mounted.

Head: light wear.
Stick: light wear.
Handle: light wear at upper facets, minor pin wear.
Frog: minor crack at thumb projection (player side).
Button: wear.”

Edited by PhilipKT

It could be made by his son with a different brand for export. These brands seem to have this somehow odd bright appearance regulary. So take a look what's going on with the adjuster and metal slide when you've got it