Maestronet Forums

Transparent grounds and shellac

cosmo

I haven't tried so don't really know. But I would try wetting the particles with oil first, perhaps to a paste consistency.  Then try working that into the disolved shellac.

??? Just a quess at a starting point.

I used Zinzer amber shellac.   Amber for color,  blond has no color.    One part shellac to six parts alcohol.  When it starts to build a surface layer you're done.   I think it was Michael Darnton that posted that years ago.   

What Davide and MikeC said. Make sure it is dewaxed shellac. A simple and effective ground/sealer that will accept both oil and spirit varnish finishes.

If you are asking for a ground before applying a shellac finish, use the thinned shellac mentioned above, or do a search on PoP (Plaster of Paris) or Gypsum grounds.

4 hours ago, ctanzio said:

What Davide and MikeC said. Make sure it is dewaxed shellac. A simple and effective ground/sealer that will accept both oil and spirit varnish finishes.

If you are asking for a ground before applying a shellac finish, use the thinned shellac mentioned above, or do a search on PoP (Plaster of Paris) or Gypsum grounds.

the problem with what has said is that zinnser blonde and amber REGULAR SHELLAC is not "seal coat shellac, the regular stuff has wax in it, seal coat does not.