Maestronet Forums

Hubert Lutherie Tools - any thoughts?

4 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Look at Lie Nielsen's violin makers plane, I'd love to know who they consulted on that one. I suspect it only got named violin makers plane because it was small.

Yeah, that's a weird one. Sat on my shelf for quite some time, but recently found a use for it, establishing the long arch on the top and back of all things. Other planes certainly work, but I found the size to be comfortable. Other than that, there it sits.

7 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Yeah, that's a weird one. Sat on my shelf for quite some time, but recently found a use for it, establishing the long arch on the top and back of all things. Other planes certainly work, but I found the size to be comfortable. Other than that, there it sits.

I have found a few occasional uses for mine, but I see it as an odd job plane. 

6 hours ago, Mark Norfleet said:

I've no experience with them.  My thoughts are that there are a few good ideas in there but the execution is clunky.  I don't see the closing clamps as being better than Herdim, except for there not being exposed threads between the clamping elements.

Also no actual tool pics, just 3D computer models of them.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:47 PM, JacksonMaberry said:

Presumably one tests things in the field before taking them to market. 

....Or before firing the engineers, burning the documentation, and trying to forget the whole embarrassing thing ever happened.  :lol:

On 6/20/2021 at 1:54 AM, Wood Butcher said:

One would hope so, but in today's world that's not always the case.
Look at Lie Nielsen's violin makers plane, I'd love to know who they consulted on that one. I suspect it only got named violin makers plane because it was small.

Or they couldn't think of any trades that would use such a plane, so they used the violin makers as a scapegoat.

I just got the fingerboard alignment clamp. Seems ok, a little flimsy? Clearly made with a 3D printer (not necessarily a bad thing). I'm sure it will work for what it's made for. If the closing clamps are of a similar quality, I'd stick with the herdims. Had to lubricate the screw to get it to work. Worth $35? Maybe. Could you make something similar? Absolutely. Might come down to what your time is worth.

IMG_4848.thumb.jpeg.17050825894efb57f2ef4ed57a970db1.jpegIMG_4847.thumb.jpeg.37b3ab0959a4b2b0a6394bf097cd1935.jpegIMG_4846.thumb.jpeg.2d07184df0872b561af365d38de57c5a.jpeg

I just had a couple of old  fingerboards to reglue, and considered making such a clamp. But, as usual, I tightened the C-clamps slowly, allowing the glue to settle, adjusting alignment with my fingers as I went , and the result was perfect, with nothing left to trim or burnish anywhere. I used a straight pin at the top to keep the board from sliding up. Both were old boards, and I wouldn't have been able to tell by feel that they had ever been off, where with mechanical alignment systems, there is always some leeway that leaves a "tell" that you have to polish or burnish off later.  Some tools are just more trouble than they are worth, if you know your materials and go gently.

A friend of mine who is a retired engineer bought one of those L-N "violin maker's" planes. I'm still waiting to see what benefit  he gets out of it.  He says making bridges, but I just hold the bridge in my hand or on a block of wood and use a block plane; I like a wider blade.

I gave my LN Violin Maker's plane to a bow maker friend. It looks pretty on his shelf. I thought that sharpening it to York Pitch would make is useful for a bowmaker. I was wrong. It seems to be like the Bear Family, too short, too long, but it doesn't make just right.

The clamp looks a little rough for my taste. I'll wait. What I have now works just fine.

The finish from 3D printing leaves a lot to be desired. It might function OK, but just looks grim.

57 minutes ago, fiddlecollector said:

Looks awfully rough and unfinished . Why are the jaws curved like closing clamps????

Seems to be an adaptation of a closing clamp, with some of the details left in.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:54 AM, Wood Butcher said:

One would hope so, but in today's world that's not always the case.

I find the L-N VM plane really useful for fingerboard making/shooting, especially fine-tuning scoop of playing surface and sides. I'm happy to have one.