Maestronet Forums

Fritz Meinel. Master German bowmaker

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

E 400 for the opinion of somebody hiding his identity? I think not.

Had you been astute you'll recognize I didn't ask for payment in cryptocurrency (although I certainly won't refuse if you elect this option).  This means the recipient of payment can be traced.

It was precisely the contribution of anonymous "informants" that allowed this thread to enlighten everyone.

Perhaps you have a surfeit of Schmidt certified bows?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 10:21 AM, martin swan said:

Agree - but this is true of any expert opinion.

And in fact French or Belgian certificates prove to be no more than that either, although they appear at first glance to be more binding.

My point was that if HK Schmidt says you have a Fritz Meinel bow, I can only think of two or three people who might legitimately debate his opinion - and I’m not one of them.

Maybe Mathias Wohlleber is one of them Martin?

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

Yes he was one of the few I could think of ... surely I put his name forward in the first place?

Sorry, really, my mistake then... You know Mathias got back to me on that question of the possible Nürnberger bow... Did you read what I wrote. I addressed you on the subject just to fill you in....very interesting development!

8 hours ago, Alexander James Stew said:

Sorry, really, my mistake then... You know Mathias got back to me on that question of the possible Nürnberger bow... Did you read what I wrote. I addressed you on the subject just to fill you in....very interesting development!

I'm afraid it 's very common for experts to be optimistic about a bow on the basis of photos, only to feel differently about it when they see it in the flesh - so I don't think you have anything until you have a certificate, and I would never sell anything on the basis that "so and so thinks it's a such and such".

That's why I didn't comment ... I have been through this stage often enough to know it's better not to get my hopes up.

I can only think of one occasion in many hundreds where an expert said "it looks much better in the flesh" ...

On 6/21/2021 at 7:26 PM, Violadamore said:

Thanks for your excellent exposition on this.  It confirms what I'd long suspected about the majority of older bows available.

A gentle warning to any "simpletons".  In my case, that's usually called "dropping to prone", and not a sign that I'm about to fling adoration in your direction.  :ph34r:  :lol:

I had something completely different in mind, thank you for cleaning up my mental image. Ha ha.

Edited by PhilipKT