Maestronet Forums

Fritz Meinel. Master German bowmaker

Does anyone share the depth of enthusiasm I have for this master bow maker Fritz Meinel .The following bow was made in 1920 and it supersedes any other bow I have ever played on. Thomassin, Martin, Charles Bazin, Penzel, Rau....just to name a few. I have heard the expression applied to him as " the poor man's Nürnberger"  but this is on a par with a fine Albert Nürnberger that I also played on. So I am not quite sure where " poor " comes into it. Maybe the market value? But this is undoubtedly one of the finest bows I have ever held and the colour and sound with my Luigi Azzola is for me near perfection.

IMG_20210618_193518.jpg

IMG_20210618_193647.jpg

IMG_20210618_193556.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW,  The value of some thing it’s based more on what it is then how it plays… Yes that’s illogical but that’s the way it is. The worst Strad in the world is still a Strad, And the best (insert maker of your choice) in the world is just a (maker of your choice.)

29 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Does it have a stamp? How are you sure that it’s from Meinel? I’m sure he didn’t write 1920 on it, so that is another presumption stated as “fact”. Ebay must be busy:)

Dear Jakob,

No...... In the first place I did not buy this on E bay and secondly Hans Karl Schmidt said so and put it in writing.... or do you also wish to denigrate his certificates?

2 hours ago, Alexander James Stew said:

master bow maker Fritz Meinel .The following bow was made in 1920

In exact English; An unstamped bow, attributed to Fritz Meinel estimated to be from about 1920. What sort of comment were you looking for, or do you just want a pat on the back?

1 hour ago, J-G said:

Yep, a great Jackson-Guldan is still a Jackson-Guldan. :rolleyes:

A great Jackson-Guldan? Never seen such an animal.

The bow: 

• Attributed to Antonio Stradivari: A work believed to be by this maker by popular consensus or past opinion, but not by the authors of this catalog.

So your paper says "Attributed to", not "by". It's a nice German bow.

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

In exact English; An unstamped bow, attributed to Fritz Meinel estimated to be from about 1920. What sort of comment were you looking for, or do you just want a pat on the back?

" ARBEIT VON" does not mean attributed to! It means MADE BY!!!!!!! What is your problem Jacob?  Hans Karl Schmidt clearly states in the certificate that the bow was made by FRITZ MEINEL in 1920. Who.are you to doubt that?Are you always this obnoxious or is it the time of the year? is everthing you see so totally spurious? Really come on....The certificate more than justifies all of this.

4 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

If I read the first sentence correctly, it says “this wonderful bow is a work of Fritz Meinel”

Is that incorrect?

Hi, this is my first post. 

Anyway, I want to hear the story or explanation about " the poor man's Nürnberger." It seems to suggest the price was low. Then why?

And I envy you for you have your favorite bow.

2 minutes ago, Rothwein said:

Wonderful is wunderbar. Wunderschön is gorgeous. Jacob is grudgingly an expert witness in Austrian violin-related court cases. But enjoy yourselves. Do carry on.

The adjective is moot, although I appreciate your correction, but the question remains valid, it seems that he is saying, “this bow is a work of this person.” I read the rest of the description and it’s just a detailed description of the bow, Followed by noting with whom meinel studied.

I’m sure on missing something, but it sure seems like he is definitely saying that the bow was made by a definite person.

I’m not disparaging Jacob at all, I would rather complain about the Lord God( but no pressure, Jacob!)I’m just saying how it seems to read, and I would love to know why Duane and Jacob both think otherwise.

2 hours ago, Alexander James Stew said:

" ARBEIT VON" does not mean attributed to! It means MADE BY!!!!!!! What is your problem Jacob?  Hans Karl Schmidt clearly states in the certificate that the bow was made by FRITZ MEINEL in 1920. Who.are you to doubt that?Are you always this obnoxious or is it the time of the year? is everthing you see so totally spurious? Really come on....The certificate more than justifies all of this.

Dude, you really need to chill and take a step back.  Insulting the experts on this forum will not endear you to anybody.  Maybe check out Jacob's credentials and think about apologizing.  It's just a goddam bow FFS.  

53 minutes ago, Jeny Mahon said:

Dude, you really need to chill and take a step back.  Insulting the experts on this forum will not endear you to anybody.  Maybe check out Jacob's credentials and think about apologizing.  It's just a goddam bow FFS.  

:-)

One can get a bit cross at times.

BTW, @Alexander James StewRegarding the certificate, I think “um” means “approximately.” Or “around.”

However, the gentleman who wrote the certificate is certainly still alive, so you could contact him and ask him for clarification.

1 hour ago, Rothwein said:

The vitriol that arises when an attribution is challenged is the reason for courts.

No, the reason for courts is their profitability to the creatures habitually infesting them (if you doubt me, research the history of modern legal systems).  Anything else (such as justice) is an occasional side-effect, or possibly an unintended consequence.  :ph34r:  :lol:  outtahere.gif..gif.bbcf53e2148e167275b179b9ebdda92f.gif

1 hour ago, mathieu valde said:

Strange, first time I saw certificate like this starting with sentence which looks  copied from kind of ebay description... :D

For a better understanding only:

As far as I've noticed this expert has three degrees of certification: "Wunderschön", "sehr schön" and "schön". A bit difficult to translate exactly, maybe something like "incredible nice, very nice" and simply "nice". I have no clue how this degrees might be related to the quality of the bow or the costs for the certificate.

There's also a (printed) Haftungsausschluss below the written part, meaning something like that it's an informed opinion only and the certifier isn't responsible for the correctness, especially not in pecuniary regards.

4 hours ago, Yoshiki said:

Anyway, I want to hear the story or explanation about " the poor man's Nürnberger." It seems to suggest the price was low. Then why?

It means that Meinel worked for a short time in the Nürnberger shop before establishing his own and later delivered bow blanks to this shop for further treatment. These are the informations given by Grünke. The book also shows a rather nice (ziemlich schönB)) silver and mop mounted bow by this maker, which is stamped and clearly related to the Nürnberger style.  If this applies to the OP bow also might be a matter of personal opinion.

4 minutes ago, Blank face said:

There's also a (printed) Haftungsausschluss below the written part, meaning something like that it's an informed opinion only and the certifier isn't responsible for the correctness, especially not in pecuniary regards.

exactly. I think it is so called  " letter of opinion" and I think it is not worth anything. We saw last month here exactly same kind of "paper" about saxon violin someone bought on ebay terribly expensive, stating it is French and old. 

NB: guy who bought "very expensive and old French saxon" -  I hope he stopped finally to buy crap on ebay and get back his money, any news?