Maestronet Forums

Violin ID - odd corpus shape - maybe French?

Max Korgheimer

Hey everybody,

I just got this beautiful violin from a luthier in Germany and am really wondering where it was probably built. I am especially impressed by its very clear, precise, direct and soloistic sound. However, since it does not have a label inside I have no indication where it's from. The luthier was guessing that it could be from France. Its corpus is rather oddly shaped, which is why I was hoping maybe one of you might have a better idea where it could have been built.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Max

01 Violin Front.JPG

01.1 Violin Front.JPG

01.2 Violin Front.JPG

01.4 Violin Front.JPG

01.5 Violin Front.JPG

02 Violin Back.JPG

02.2 Violin Back.JPG

02.4 Violin Back.JPG

03 Violin Left.JPG

04 Violin Right.JPG

05 Violin Scroll Right.JPG

06 Violin Scroll Left.JPG

07 Violin Scroll Front.JPG

08 Violin Scroll Back.JPG

09.2.2 Violin Close Up Front Upper Left.JPG

09.4 Violin Close Up Front Upper Right.JPG

09.5 Violin Close Up Front Right F-Hole.JPG

09.6 Violin Close Up Front Left F-Hole.JPG

40 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

"The luthier was guessing that it could be from France." (The luthier is in Germany???)

You might consider getting a new luthier if he/she can't recognize the usual signs of a Markneukirchen type instrument.

This raises an interesting point.
When someone hasn’t the knowledge to identify even basic types of instruments, how on earth can they price them correctly, or even fairly?
Prices are based first and foremost on whom by, and where they were made. Not knowing this, one can only assume that the pricing is done on a pin the tail on the donkey fashion. Basically a random guess.

5 hours ago, Max Korgheimer said:

Hey everybody,

I just got this beautiful violin from a luthier in Germany and am really wondering where it was probably built. I am especially impressed by its very clear, precise, direct and soloististic.

Uhm, OK, what are your qualifications for making an assessment, such as a violin being "soloistic? Have you swapped fiddles with people like Perlman or Hahn, and compared notes?

10 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I’m interested in the varnish, there seems to be a lot of dark edge work which makes me wonder if the varnish has been modified or if that’s just the way the varnish collected when it was applied, giving darker color to the corners and low spots?

I think this was done on purpose as an antiquing method, but it's not very convincing.

On 6/18/2021 at 2:23 PM, FiddleDoug said:

"The luthier was guessing that it could be from France." (The luthier is in Germany???)

You might consider getting a new luthier if he/she can't recognize the usual signs of a Markneukirchen type instrument.

Haha couldn't agree more...