Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Spirits of Wine


uncle duke
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/19/2021 at 7:55 PM, Bill Yacey said:

A simple pot still like that is good for about 70% or so, if you go low and slow with the heat. A little more sophisticated still like a reflux column will put you easily into the low to mid 90s.

Reflux still

well I'm glad we could have this conversation about making moonshine :lol: does anyone know how to take it from what that is in the video above what you'r taking about Bill? like basically everclear from that? safely, without "splodin'"....probably isn't any safe way that could be done at home? is there anyway to easily wash water from alc? without loosing too much alc and without having to boil 70 proof alc. I wonder if there isn't some water absorbing polymer {like they use for plants} that you could mix in and suck the water into that and leave behind the alc and then strain it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spirit of wine is old name for alcohol (ethanol). You see it all the time in historic texts.

7 hours ago, jezzupe said:

I wonder if there isn't some water absorbing polymer {like they use for plants} that you could mix in and suck the water into that and leave behind the alc and then strain it?

Look for molecular sieve. You can get it up to to 99.9%. But it's better to begin with high percentage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jezzupe said:

well I'm glad we could have this conversation about making moonshine :lol: does anyone know how to take it from what that is in the video above what you'r taking about Bill? like basically everclear from that? safely, without "splodin'"....probably isn't any safe way that could be done at home? is there anyway to easily wash water from alc? without loosing too much alc and without having to boil 70 proof alc. I wonder if there isn't some water absorbing polymer {like they use for plants} that you could mix in and suck the water into that and leave behind the alc and then strain it?

maybe you can suck the alcohol out using a closed vacuum system... no heat to set off a "splosion" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have a cold enough freezer, maybe freeze distillation. However, in all these methods I doubt the ingredients + energy cost + labor would make any of these processes a better economical choice than just buying some everclear. Do I still want to make moonshine? Of course. Is it worth the possible fine or jail time (in the U.S.)? Not for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jim Bress said:

If you have a cold enough freezer, maybe freeze distillation. However, in all these methods I doubt the ingredients + energy cost + labor would make any of these processes a better economical choice than just buying some everclear. Do I still want to make moonshine? Of course. Is it worth the possible fine or jail time (in the U.S.)? Not for me. 

I was going to suggest freeze distillation but looked it up and the max ABV you can get is about 35%. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, glebert said:

I was going to suggest freeze distillation but looked it up and the max ABV you can get is about 35%. 

Oh you could do it, but it's just not worth buying a medical grade freezer that will drop the temperature below -100 C or so.  Except for Bill. He just walks outside in the winter. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 2:16 PM, HoGo said:

Spirit of wine is old name for alcohol (ethanol). You see it all the time in historic texts.

Look for molecular sieve. You can get it up to to 99.9%. But it's better to begin with high percentage.

You can't get pure alcohol by distillation because you get an azeotrope (around 97%). In older times it was hard to get ethyl alcohol in very high concentrations.

Cheap alcohol that you buy in the super market is ineed often mixed with something that makes it taste awful, and in the UK they also add blue colour. This stuff also contains water. The higher the water content the less useful it is for spirit varnish.

Pure dry ethanol is a lot more expensive (sometimes sold as surgical alcohol). If you want to make spirit varnish it behaves much better if your alcohol is water free.

Isopropanol (IPA) is made synthetically and usually comes with very low water content. This also works for spirit varnish and evaporates faster than ethanol. IPA is what gives the characteristic smell to the version of windscreen wiper fluid.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2021 at 7:29 PM, uguntde said:

You can't get pure alcohol by distillation because you get an azeotrope (around 97%). In older times it was hard to get ethyl alcohol in very high concentrations.

Pure dry ethanol is a lot more expensive (sometimes sold as surgical alcohol). If you want to make spirit varnish it behaves much better if your alcohol is water free.

The old texts mention spirits of wine that has been rectified(distilled) at least four times... that can get you above 90%.

I buy anhydrous ethanol dirt cheap, like 3 Euro per liter. Sold as fuel (bioethanol) denatured only by traces of bitrex. I consulted with the producer and it is above 99.9% ethanol (in the final denatured product). Best stuff ever for dissolving shellac for french polish.

I've got a bottle of pharmacy grade ethanol and that is 96%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HoGo said:

The old texts mention spirits of wine that has been rectified(distilled) at least four times... that can get you above 90%.

I buy anhydrous ethanol dirt cheap, like 3 Euro per liter. Sold as fuel (bioethanol) denatured only by traces of bitrex. I consulted with the producer and it is above 99.9% ethanol (in the final denatured product). Best stuff ever for dissolving shellac for french polish.

I've got a bottle of pharmacy grade ethanol and that is 96%.

It is ofcourse easy today to make 99.9% alcohol. Whatever they add makes it undrinkable. And 90% is still cheaper in most countries. You can of course also buy pure 99.9% ethanol which you need for example in chemical laboratories.

100 years ago they were probably stuck with alcohol around 90%. I tried but for spirit varnish and the one without water is clearly preferable.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...