Maestronet Forums

Spirits of Wine

uncle duke

36 minutes ago, Muswell said:

Brandy?  You aren't drinking rubbing alcohol are you:o?

Except Brandy is dirty stuff, not well distilled, or they add extra crap into it for flavor. Spiritus or high proof Everclear is what you want for varnish purposes.

Rubbing alcohol has poisons introduced into it to prevent people from drinking it. Don't use that.

Spirits of wine would be Ethyl Alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is Isopropyl Alcohol. These are two, totally different compounds, and shouldn't be used interchangeably. Something like Everclear would be the best choice. Denatured alcohol would be your next best choice. "Denatured" means that it has things added to make it undrinkable.

"Rubbing alcohol has poisons introduced into it to prevent people from drinking it."

No, rubbing alcohol doesn't have poisons added to it. It's poison all by itself.

Ethyl rubbing alcohol has poisons added--acetone, methyl isobutyl ketone, and something called “denatonium benzoate.“ You can't put a fire of it out with baking soda. Perhaps it might not kill you, but it won't stay in your stomach long enough to find out.

16 hours ago, uncle duke said:

I have used rubbing alcohol before to soak wood chips for color. 

I try to look up what spirits of wine are these days and really don't know what I'm looking at except reading the labels. 

Spirits of wine is the wrong idea isn't it.   Alcohol spirits are things like vodka and whiskey, no wine or beer involved.

??

Or do I have that wrong?

8 hours ago, David Beard said:

Spirits of wine is the wrong idea isn't it.   Alcohol spirits are things like vodka and whiskey, no wine or beer involved.

??

Or do I have that wrong?

A wine is anything fermented from vegetable / fruit matter with sugars.

Spirits of wine Is simply ethyl alcohol distilled from fermented sugars. Doesn't matter if it's derived from grapes, apples, peaches, corn, sugar beets or grass clippings (well, maybe not the latter, if you intend to drink the distillate).

10 hours ago, David Beard said:

??

Or do I have that wrong?

To tell you the truth I have no idea.  Just reading thru Heron-Allen and thought I still don't know what spirits of wine really is.

Seems also a waste to just simply boil away a product like that.  

1 hour ago, uncle duke said:

To tell you the truth I have no idea.  Just reading thru Heron-Allen and thought I still don't know what spirits of wine really is.

Seems also a waste to just simply boil away a product like that.  

I didn't know the phrase 'wine spirits', but I do know that historically you couldn't get pure enough alcohol to make spirit varnishes without distilling.

And that in 1700s, such alcohol was still coming in to being readily available.

Well I know that it is pretty easy and safe {like really easy} to make 80-120 proof grain alcohol from a sack of cornmeal and yeast, but taking it to the next level of 151 to 190 is much more dangerous

2 hours ago, jezzupe said:

Well I know that it is pretty easy and safe {like really easy} to make 80-120 proof grain alcohol from a sack of cornmeal and yeast, but taking it to the next level of 151 to 190 is much more dangerous

It's really no more dangerous to make 93 to 95% alcohol versus 60%, it just takes slower distillation and an understanding of how to concentrate the alcohol. I routinely achieve 94%.

I haven't had a drink yet today, so I plead sober.

gimme a cooler, some water, a bag of cornmeal, a packet of yeast, a 5gal bucket, 6ft of cooper tube, a sealed pressure cooker, a copper valve, a drill and a hot plate and I'll give you grandmas medicine! :lol: 

an excellent tutorial by an experienced vet