Maestronet Forums

James R. Coggin Viola at Tarisio

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2199437312&cpid=3731177472

This instrument is at least a bit interesting at the low estimate.  The wood used for the back is quite nice.  Does anyone know anything about the maker?  The model is a bit odd but not unatractive. The real star of the whole sale is the viola by our fearless leader a couple of instruments further down the line.

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2199437312&cpid=3735273472&filter_key=#cond

A smoking deal at the high estimate.  I'm working out a trade on the sale my left kidney so I can bid :-)

Still hiding out in Texas, Where men are men, and the sheep run scared........

DLB

Keep it to yourself and don't let him know, but I think D.B. is quite good at this stringed instrument making thing. :)

The scroll is pretty much perfect in every way. In fact the whole instrument is nigh on perfection. I can see why you want it. I think the estimate is going to prove to be on the low side.  Its a beautiful instrument.

6 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

Still working a deal on becoming the world’s only living heart donor! 

DLB

please try the Coggin as well. 

I’m really there for the viola bows. Maybe they’ll let me try them out? This is a first for me visiting a Tarisio auction. 

15 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

I’m really there for the viola bows. Maybe they’ll let me try them out? This is a first for me visiting a Tarisio auction. 

You’re going to have an incredible amount of fun. You go upstairs, you go to the door, they say, “hi” you say, “hello, I’m here to look at your auction stuff” and they point to the glass door on your right and say, “there you go, go knock yourself out.” While you’re there, ask to see their private sale stuff and they will take you into a little walk in closet area and they will show you a whole lot of very nice wood.

I’ve never been there when there was anybody else there, so I just always have the place to myself. And I play in noodle and play some more and look and think and say “I wish I had money”

Dwight, I really liked the Coggin. It’s every bit as wide in person as in the photos. It looks like the love child of the sleeping beauty cello and an Amati viola. It’s surprisingly light. Possibly the lightest of the group. The neck is a bit thinner than average and feels great. The whole thing felt very comfortable to me with plenty bow clearance. A little tubby on the C string and each higher string got more focused and clear. I think adjusting the setup would help this viola a lot. 

my favorite bow was the Dodd. 

• 2 weeks later...