Maestronet Forums

Jan Basta Violin Maker Prague

Please does anyone have any information on the Bohemian maker from Prague Jan Basta? Was he a maker himself or was he to Prague as Vuillaume was to Paris..simply a dealer who employed different workers/ makers? I heard some where that he had different quality instruments....according to the labels...but honestly am in the dark. Many thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Violadamore said:

IMHO, yet another labeling for "the usual rubbish", i.e., mass produced (though handmade) trade violins from Schönbach.   Lately, they've been getting grossly overpriced.  :)

Dear Violadamore,

I just found out that Jan Basta had various people working for him and his top instruments are a far cry from as you quoted" the usual rubbish." Judge for yourself... The following photos are from a violin from around 1900 made to look older but with a certain intrinsic character and quality. It carries a black label with gold edges that was reserved for " Jan Basta's" top instruments quoted from " Jalovec"And before you denigrate Schönbach, look into some of the fine makers from that area during this period. " Jalovec's" book on Bohemian makers ....The following violin is far from " rubbish"

s-l400(8).jpg

s-l400(16).jpg

s-l400(11).jpg

s-l400(10).jpg

s-l400(15).jpg

s-l400(18).jpg

s-l400(7).jpg

Dear Jakub,

If you in possession of Karol Jolovec's book on " Bohemian violin makers" read what he says about JAN BASTA and his instruments. It's an interesting book to have if there is interest in the makers from area.

7 hours ago, Violadamore said:

IMHO, yet another labeling for "the usual rubbish", i.e., mass produced (though handmade) trade violins from Schönbach.   Lately, they've been getting grossly overpriced.  :)

Dear Violadamore,

I just found out that Jan Basta had various people working for him and his top instruments are a far cry from as you quoted" the usual rubbish." Judge for yourself... The following photos are from a violin from around 1900 made to look older but with a certain intrinsic character and quality. It carries a black label with gold edges that was reserved for " Jan Basta's" top instruments quoted from " Jalovec"And before you denigrate Schönbach, look into some of the fine makers from that area during this period. " Jalovec's" book on Bohemian makers ....The following violin is far from " rubbish"

39 minutes ago, Alexander James Stew said:

The following violin is far from " rubbish"

Since you are new to MN, the term "usual rubbish" is used here somewhat endearingly for common German trade violins (which yours is) across a wide spectrum of quality and value.

14 minutes ago, Alexander James Stew said:

Dear Violadamore,

s-l400(8).jpg

s-l400(16).jpg

s-l400(11).jpg

s-l400(10).jpg

s-l400(15).jpg

s-l400(18).jpg

s-l400(7).jpg

Dear and most appreciated fellow defender of Schönbach,

You have misinterpreted "the usual rubbish" (originally a quote from @jacobsaunders, now long used ironically) as denigratory, when it isn't.  It's simply an acknowledgement that the violin-dealing community at large refuses to apply the category of "fine violin" to anything produced for sale as a commodity rather than as a supposed work of "fine art" (whatever that is; the evidence is that many "golden era" makers ran workshops).  I personally have been a long-time champion of "trade violins" around here, advocating buying, repairing, playing, and selling them, at a time when most voices here advocated eradicating them as a hazard to the trade.  Now, as the demand for older violins has heated up, they are tending to price them in the low thousands, rather than piling them up in bonfires.  :lol:

What you have looks to be a better example of the rather diverse species.  How does it sound?  :)

1 minute ago, GeorgeH said:

The "usual rubbish" is used here somewhat endearingly for German Trade violins across a wide spectrum of quality and value.

Dear George,

I agree.... But it stems from the norm that only the Italian and some french and maybe a handful of German makers hit the mark in terms of real quality. The rest, and in my opinion quite unfairly ...is just regarded as " trade junk".

Reminds me of a funny story with the former owner of the music shop " Guiviers" in London Alan Wilkes. Whenever he had a doubt about a violin, his customary comment would be..." Nice fiddle, but Dutch ribs and French back" lol.....

2 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Dear and most appreciated fellow defender of Schönbach,

You have misinterpreted "the usual rubbish" (originally a quote from @jacobsaunders, now long used ironically) as denigratory, when it isn't.  It's simply an acknowledgement that the violin-dealing community at large refuses to apply the category of "fine violin" to anything produced for sale as a commodity rather than as a supposed work of "fine art" (whatever that is; the evidence is that many "golden era" makers ran workshops).  I personally have been a long-time champion of "trade violins" around here, advocating buying, repairing, playing, and selling them, at a time when most voices here advocated eradicating them as a hazard to the trade.  Now, as the demand for older violins has heated up, they are tending to price them in the low thousands, rather than piling them up in bonfires.  :lol:

What you have looks to be a better example of the rather diverse species.  How does it sound?  :)

Many thanks for your words of wisdom Violadamore. I could not agree more. I am still waiting for this particular instrument. I do not actually have it in my hands as of yet. But I will let you know how it sounds.

It was quite interesting that I worked both in Germany and Austria, since German and Austrian attics have a slightly different assortment of late 19th. C school violins. Whilst the German music shops seem to have been supplied from Markneukirchen, the Austrian ones are in the majority from the Bohemian half of the Musikwinkel. Apart from the usual Stradivarius and so on, One sees labels from Placht, Lutz, Fischer Grazlitz etc. Importing from Saxon would presumably have caused one to have to cross a customs boarder, or do some serious smuggling. The “Basta” violin you illustrate is the classical “Dutzendarbeit”, and Basta a Wholesaler with a veritable army of “self-employed” home workers. “Dutzendarbeit”can look/sound quite nice if you clean them up properly

3 minutes ago, Alexander James Stew said:

Dear Jakob,

Another duped " Ebay lifer". Before you pass judgement.....Well I guess you must have missed this one on E bay? Better luck next time.

IMG-20210327-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20210327-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210327-WA0002.jpg

There is no chance of me "missing" anything on Ebay, since I don't bother with it. My only role is to explain to euphoric people that their Ebay "conquest" is normally the usual, and scarcely worth repairing

26 minutes ago, Alexander James Stew said:

Not the " case" here would you agree? I was pretty " euphoric" with this....

IMG-20210327-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20210327-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210327-WA0002.jpg

Ummmm..........I'd be very cautious here.  I'd consider this a nice silver mounted bow, stamped "Hammig", by a party or parties unknown.  A lot of shops have stamps lying around, and, IMHO, this stamping doesn't look like an original 19th. Century Hammig.  There have also been more than a few Hammigs selling bows.  It will come down to how well it plays for you.

A more likely example for comparison:

15948625_Hammigstamp.thumb.jpg.cea80fbf3886216054ac22f2512a8ca7.jpg

• Shelbow changed the title to Jan Basta Violin Maker Prague

Another eBay defender of a potentially dubious purchase? ^_^

Ultimately, if one is happy with their purchase, it's all good. However, if there's a desire to defend, maybe there are also doubts and regrets?

...and I'm off to keep an eye on my grass...:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Ummmm..........I'd be very cautious here.  I'd consider this a nice silver mounted bow, stamped "Hammig", by a party or parties unknown.  A lot of shops have stamps lying around, and, IMHO, this stamping doesn't look like an original 19th. Century Hammig.  There have also been more than a few Hammigs selling bows.  It will come down to how well it plays for you.

A more likely example for comparison:

15948625_Hammigstamp.thumb.jpg.cea80fbf3886216054ac22f2512a8ca7.jpg

I suspect the OP has had his “Hammig” appraised and is happy with the verdict …

It’s a lot nicer than, and made by someone quite different from, the manky example you cite.

A few years ago I bought this one (sight unseen) from an auction house that neglected to mention that in the past it had undergone violent decapitation. At £40 plus commission I didn't feel cheated, but it didn't play well. A year or so later I sold it via a different auction house that also somehow failed to mention the decapitation. Overall I just about broke even.

IMG_2498r.jpg

IMG_2499r.jpg

IMG_2501r.jpg

IMG_2506r.jpg

IMG_2508r.jpg

6 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I suspect the OP has had his “Hammig” appraised and is happy with the verdict …

It’s a lot nicer than, and made by someone quite different from, the manky example you cite.

Thanks.  You'd certainly know better than I would.  :)