Maestronet Forums

Claude Thomassin violin bow

7 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Maybe make an appointment to visit an appraiser, and take all of your bows together.

Many thanks Wood, unfortunately I have done this and am none the wiser. Opinions differ. I recently purchased the 2017 edition of Albert Fuchs's TAXE DER STREICHINSTRUMENTE. Claude Thomassin is listed between 12-17000 euros. The last dealer I saw said around 10,000....that's quite a difference.

5 minutes ago, Alexander James Stew said:

Claude Thomassin is listed between 12-17000 euros. The last dealer I saw said around 10,000....that's quite a difference.

Your bow looks damaged around the mortice, which would devalue it. But, regardless, take @Wood Butcher's advice and get all your bows appraised at least for insurance purposes, and then get them insured.

2 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Your bow looks damaged around the mortice, which would devalue it. But, regardless, take @Wood Butcher's advice and get all your bows appraised at least for insurance purposes, and then get them insured.

Thanks George....no that's the shadow from the photo... The mortice is completely free from damage....

29 minutes ago, Alexander James Stew said:

Many thanks Wood, unfortunately I have done this and am none the wiser. Opinions differ. I recently purchased the 2017 edition of Albert Fuchs's TAXE DER STREICHINSTRUMENTE. Claude Thomassin is listed between 12-17000 euros. The last dealer I saw said around 10,000....that's quite a difference.

Realistically, opinions will always differ, for they are simply opinions. While it's nice to hope to get a better price, and could be possible, it depends on many factors falling into place at the right time for this to happen.

Guide books can be a useful resource, but the blanket spread of values is not always a huge aid in valuing an individual bow. Things like wood choice, how well it's cut, condition, the period it's from, balance, weight, strength, provenance etc will all factor in heavily, for a final valuation.

Sometimes several appraisals may be needed to find a "common ground", but I wouldn't expect different opinions to come up with the same price.

1 minute ago, Wood Butcher said:

Realistically, opinions will always differ, for they are simply opinions. While it's nice to hope to get a better price, and could be possible, it depends on many factors falling into place at the right time for this to happen.

While guide books can be a useful resource, the blanket spread of values is not always a huge aid in valuing an individual bow. Things like wood choice, how well it's cut, condition, the period it's from, provenance etc will all factor in heavily in a final valuation.

Sometimes several appraisals may be needed to find a "common ground", but I wouldn't expect different opinions to come up with the same price.

Many thanks Wood. I was told that this was a very late Thomassin. Made around 1940. And where as many of his bows are quite light and flexible...this is a very strong stick but with a good degree of flexibility.I paid 5000 pounds from a private dealer...Adam Whone in London 15 years ago!!

Can you post a sharper image of this dirty line on the audience side of the mortise?

apart from that it looks like a nice straightforward Thomassin with a bit of wear and minor damage, so I don’t think it would be hard to put a figure to it. 

Of course the nominal value is one thing - as Wood Butcher says, what you can actually sell it for is another, and much more dependent on weight, playability, appearance etc.

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

There are currently 2 of these bows up for auction at Tarisio, which might provide comparable price references for you.

Disclosure: I have no relationship with either bow. 

I think if the OP bought this for a retail price then he is looking for a retail price …

16 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I think if the OP bought this for a retail price then he is looking for a retail price …

True, but one can extrapolate...

Seeing a personal professional appraisal is still the best advice.

I'd also like to see a better picture of the mortice.