Maestronet Forums

Oil varnish, care and feeding of

smithfarm

I'm a cellist, not a cello maker. I'm looking to buy a better cello. I found one that I really like, which has an oil varnish on it. I'm a little concerned because just during the two months I've had it on loan, the varnish seems to have lost some of its sheen. I'm not sure why that is - could it be the microfiber cloth I use to keep the cello clean? Or just from the summer heat and the cello being shut up in a fiberglass case most of the time?

If anyone here cares to share their knowledge and experience on the topic of oil varnishes, I'd certainly be grateful!

5 hours ago, smithfarm said:

I'm a cellist, not a cello maker. I'm looking to buy a better cello. I found one that I really like, which has an oil varnish on it. I'm a little concerned because just during the two months I've had it on loan, the varnish seems to have lost some of its sheen. I'm not sure why that is - could it be the microfiber cloth I use to keep the cello clean? Or just from the summer heat and the cello being shut up in a fiberglass case most of the time?

If anyone here cares to share their knowledge and experience on the topic of oil varnishes, I'd certainly be grateful!

Pictures would help.   Is your cleaning cloth a commercial one?

6 hours ago, smithfarm said:

The best thing to put on it is nothing at all, especially since it isn’t yours.

I would dispel any notion that oil varnish needs feeding, it does not get hungry.

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

The best thing to put on it is nothing at all, especially since it isn’t yours.

I would dispel any notion that oil varnish needs feeding, it does not get hungry.

However, if the varnish believes it is underfed, it might get grouchy. ;)

If the cello was polished in preparation for your taking it on trial then it may very well get more dull over a few months. Depends on both the varnish composition (and age) and what it was polished with. Most instrument varnishes look fine with a softer sheen rather than a glassy shine.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:16 AM, smithfarm said:

Ask the owner, what was used to polish the cello.