Maestronet Forums

Possible Hoyer School silver mounted violin bow?

C.A. Hoyer was the largest Markneukirchen bow workshop in the period between the wars, and nearly everyone started there bow-making career there, so calling something “Hoyer school” is meaningless, since it includes everybody. The firm became war reparations to the Russians after the War, upon which the old Hoyer moved to Brienz, Switzerland, where he founded the Schweizerische Bogenmacher AG, which after his death passed to his worker Siegrid Finkel. The firm is still there in the 3rd (or perhaps 4th in the meantime) generation. C. A. Hoyer bows were the standard issue back then with any school outfit, and range from Brazil wood carpet beater, to quite nice.

2 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Stew, My response was considering the possibility of Otto Hoyer.  If you meant C A Hoyer, Jacob's remarks are more on-point.

10 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

C.A. Hoyer was the largest Markneukirchen bow workshop in the period between the wars, and nearly everyone started there bow-making career there, so calling something “Hoyer school” is meaningless, since it includes everybody. The firm became war reparations to the Russians after the War, upon which the old Hoyer moved to Brienz, Switzerland, where he founded the Schweizerische Bogenmacher AG, which after his death passed to his worker Siegrid Finkel. The firm is still there in the 3rd (or perhaps 4th in the meantime) generation. C. A. Hoyer bows were the standard issue back then with any school outfit, and range from Brazil wood carpet beater, to quite nice.

Dear Jacob,

Many thanks...I love the " analogy from Brazil wood carpet cleaner to quite nice..."

My feeling is that this seems quite nice. Apparently it plays well, a stable stick and is 60g. I do have the opportunity to buy at a very reasonable price....and as a player that's also important..Any thoughts Jakob?

I have a large box of unused student bows stamped "Bausch" from around 1930 which have this style of pearl eye. So it's possible that this bow was sold by the Bausch firm, but really that pearl eye is the only point of individuality.

The workmanship is quite basic, and I also wouldn't go any further than "a silver mounted Markneukirchen trade bow".