Maestronet Forums

Playing a chromatic scale on the violin. Best fingering?

I'm a life-long cellist. Playing chromatics on the cello is so easy: 012312301231230 etc

But this does not seem to work on the violin. What is the standard fingering?  

(Similarly, vibrato seems to be so much easier on the cello than the violin. But that's another story.)

Thanks

I was taught to slide my fingers up.  So the pattern would be 0-1-1-2-2-3-4-0-1-1-2-2-3-4-0-1-1-2-2-3-4-0-1-1-2  from open G to G on the E string  for example.  

Thats all in first position of course.

In jazz violin, you sometimes play chromatic runs by just moving your finger up (or down) incrementally. You get the needed articulation from your bowing arm. Gypsy jazz players do that a lot.  I've also seen Iranian and  Indian players do it. One string scales (diatomic or chromatic) are really interesting!

On 6/14/2021 at 8:50 AM, violinnewb said:

It really depends on the situation and end point for your chromatic scale. 

In general, I use 012, 1234, 012, 01234.

Sometimes, in higher positions like third position on up, I will use 123, 123, 123, or

I might use 12, 12,1234

This is what simon fischer calls "fast fingering" for chromatics.  it's what I use.   012-1234 for G-A strings, and then 0123-123-123... all the way up the E.

In general using separate fingers per note is "crisper" and that's what I try to do, and works in 75-80% of cases. But sometimes you just have to slide, especially 1-1 or 2-2 (it's usually better on those stronger, anchor fingers). I'm thinking viola here primarily, but it applies to violin nearly the same.

20 hours ago, Zeissica said:

In general using separate fingers per note is "crisper" and that's what I try to do, and works in 75-80% of cases. But sometimes you just have to slide, especially 1-1 or 2-2 (it's usually better on those stronger, anchor fingers). I'm thinking viola here primarily, but it applies to violin nearly the same.

Agreed.  Crisper.  I try to only slide if my end note would require an unnecessary additional shift and the 1-1 or 2-2 will get me there evenly.