Maestronet Forums

Neck shaping template for violin

As mentioned in my last thread - I also ordered a laser cut neck shaping template for violin. When it first came the laser cutter had scaled it to the wrong dimension so it was a little too small. The corrected version just came in and is available for purchase here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255015597370

This template is laser cut from 1.6mm thick aluminum. The outline is taken directly from the neck shaping template depicted here: http://www.makingtheviolin.com/Shaping the neck

As seen in the third image, it's an almost exact match for the neck shaping template given in the C&J book.

In the fourth picture you can see the smaller version that the laser cutter sent first. Due to the mistake you'll be getting 2 templates - the corrected one for a 4/4 violin and the smaller one that is probably about the right size for a 3/4 or 7/8 violin - it's definitely a little too big for my 1/2 size.

Will combine shipping w/ the fingerboard scoop template I have listed - send me a message before paying and I'll send out an invoice.

As with the other template, I'd like to give a discount for maestronet members - make me an offer for 12.99 and include "Maestronet" in the offer message and I'll accept it :)

As discussed in the other thread - I'll probably be ordering some more templates for viola/cello soonish but I've got some wedding planning to do before I can devote time to drawing them up and ordering them so it might be a little while.

signal-2021-06-13-095954_002.jpeg

signal-2021-06-13-095954_001.jpeg

signal-2021-06-13-095954_003.jpeg

signal-2021-06-13-095954_004.jpeg

@JPherson thanks! Heading to the post office w/ batch #1 now.

@Nick Allen interesting! I'm learning that everybody has their own unique way of doing things so there's probably no such thing as a one-size-fits-all template for any part of violin making. I'm trying to make these based on best practices (in this case makingtheviolin.com which appears to be based on C&J) and then trying to give as accurate a description as I can so folks can decide for themselves whether it'll work or not.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:08 AM, m.makepeace said:

@JPherson thanks! Heading to the post office w/ batch #1 now.

@Nick Allen interesting! I'm learning that everybody has their own unique way of doing things so there's probably no such thing as a one-size-fits-all template for any part of violin making. I'm trying to make these based on best practices (in this case makingtheviolin.com which appears to be based on C&J) and then trying to give as accurate a description as I can so folks can decide for themselves whether it'll work or not.

You're right. Not everyone does things the same way. And that's a good thing. I've used that template (J&C) for years now without issue. It's just the shop that I'm at right now does things their way and I was imposing what was instructed to me.