Maestronet Forums

The dilemma of the trash bow that plays better than the rest

Byrdbop

1 hour ago, Byrdbop said:

Does a plate have to be fitted or could some form of hardening epoxy be applied to the base to strengthen the head?

Byrdbop...  No need to do this or anything some of the repliers say to do. Really an insult to degrade a bow you know and love playing. I restore older guitars which they too were told not worth the fish glue to restore but I have and can send you PM message/photos for you to see. 

I would restore this bow with a bone tip (not whale bone but maybe camoe or buffalo) and rehair the bow with either vegan hair or horsehair on your needs and it will not cost the Euros or $$$ as suggested by others here. 

I am agast at some of the replies to you on a bow you deserve to have restored.

7 minutes ago, PaganiniGuitar said:

Byrdbop...  No need to do this or anything some of the repliers say to do. Really an insult to degrade a bow you know and love playing. I restore older guitars which they too were told not worth the fish glue to restore but I have and can send you PM message/photos for you to see. 

I would restore this bow with a bone tip (not whale bone but maybe camoe or buffalo) and rehair the bow with either vegan hair or horsehair on your needs and it will not cost the Euros or $$$ as suggested by others here. 

Well said. To find a bow you like is quite difficult and can be an expensive process. Let's suppose the OP was lucky and got a bow that they like for as little as € 200, the new bow will need rehairing after a few months of playing so they are back where they started. Any decent worker would not charge if the rehair ended up being no good (eg if the wood split during the rehair). Surely it is worth a try. 

19 minutes ago, PaganiniGuitar said:

It seems to be necessary to point out that nobody here was dismissing the OP bow nor the owners wish to have it rehaired. It all was exclusively about what a proper rehair would need and about the costs. Proper means that the bow won't be damaged or destroyed during the procedere and that it would be long lasting to keep the bow usable, that's all. To give a hint that there would be alternatives for the price and that it might be playing different after is just what every reliable repair person is obliged to do (or at least should be).

An exposy layer for example won't keep the head from being cracked by a wetch BTW, that's just another way to do it sloppy with unforeseeable consequences.

6 minutes ago, Brumcello said:

Any decent worker would not charge if the rehair ended up being no good (eg if the wood split during the rehair).

That's exactly the reason why some would reject to do butchery work.

3 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

It was a joke on “flummoxed” Which means to be confused. It’s one of those word play jokes that doesn’t translate.

But I still consider it to be immensely clever, ha ha

Yeah, certainly got me confused

10 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

No meaning. It was a flummoxed attempt at a pun.

True. Mr T is trying to compete with "If it aint Baroque, don't fix it." which Jacob didn’t get, even though it's one of the very bestest puns in the  Compendium Pundorum Violinologica Americana, and failing.