Maestronet Forums

Science and "Evidence"

Peter K-G

On 6/13/2021 at 1:27 AM, Wood Butcher said:

I often wondered if the old makers reserved the summer months for varnishing, when the warmer and drier weather would surely be an asset.
Rather than today’s system of make an instrument, then varnish it immediately.

That's what I've always assumed too, though the "dry" summer months in Cremona are still pretty humid. Always makes me chuckle when people wonder at how I can make instruments in Hawaii. At altitude where I live, the average humidity is well below that of Cremona.

https://en.climate-data.org/europe/italy/lombardy/cremona-1098/

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

That's what I've always assumed too, though the "dry" summer months in Cremona are still pretty humid. Always makes me chuckle when people wonder at how I can make instruments in Hawaii. At altitude where I live, the average humidity is well below that of Cremona.

https://en.climate-data.org/europe/italy/lombardy/cremona-1098/

I wonder how the climate of Cremona compares to Georgia.  Here in the summer it can get over 100 degrees in the shade and there's plenty of UV and humidity.   Walk out the back door and it's like walking into a sauna.  

Just now, MikeC said:

I wonder how the climate of Cremona compares to Georgia.  Here in the summer it can get over 100 degrees in the shade and there's plenty of UV and humidity.   Walk out the back door and it's like walking into a sauna.  

I would imagine any dank river valley town around that latitude would be relatively similar. 

6 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Nah... you would need evidence from Finland for that statement

Just now, JacksonMaberry said:

I would imagine any dank river valley town around that latitude would be relatively similar. 

No, not by latitude. Northern Italy Latitude (45-ish) is closer to Maine than Georgia. Additionally, the Mediterranean climate is also different than eastern north America. Hard to put climate and weather variations of two very different regions into one tidy box.

5 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

No, not by latitude. Northern Italy Latitude (45-ish) is closer to Maine than Georgia. Additionally, the Mediterranean climate is also different than eastern north America. Hard to put climate and weather variations of two very different regions into one tidy box.

Good perspective, thanks Jim!

The current relative humidity level in Cremona (late morning there) is very close to what I consider to be the upper limit for the long-term health of wooden violins under constant tension, without regular restorer intervention. The relative humidity will get even higher as the temperature in Cremona drops overnight.

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

The current relative humidity level in Cremona (late morning there) is very close to what I consider to be the upper limit for the long-term health of wooden violins under constant tension, without regular restorer intervention. The relative humidity will get even higher as the temperature in Cremona drops overnight.

Is there a big difference inside and out? I see big jumps in RH here in the UK for outdoor readings, but are the indoor readings much more stable, even without air conditioning?