Science and "Evidence"

Peter K-G

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sospiri said:

WITHOUT MISINTERPRETATION 

The Hill Bros. Quote a letter of 1638, from Stradivari himself, (Antonio Stradivari his Life & Work, Dover edition, page 177)

"The violin cannot be bought to perfection without the strong heat of the sun”

Interperate yourself

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

The Hill Bros. Quote a letter of 1638, from Stradivari himself, (Antonio Stradivari his Life & Work, Dover edition, page 177)

"The violin cannot be bought to perfection without the strong heat of the sun”

Interperate yourself

I did. He doesn't say anything about putting his violins outside in direct sunlight. 

51 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Read my earlier comments. 

What the....?

You acknowledge no evidence to support yes or no on the question of sunlight.

Yet you seem to be sure the answer is no?  What is yout evidence?

People are telling you: 1) there is a letter to a repair customer saying sunlight is needed to bring the finish to peefection.  2) science and experience show that UV/sunshine help cure oil varnish.  3) there was a covered rooftop patio on Strad's building which tradition claims was used for sunning and drying instruments.

But you acknowledge none of these points.

Here we are in a thread about evidence.  It would reasonable to assery that the evidence isn't fully conslusive.  We can't be certain.

But to jump to opposite is unreasonable.

You don't know he didn't sun instruments in the back yard or on the roof patio.

7 minutes ago, David Beard said:

What the....?

You acknowledge no evidence to support yes or no on the question of sunlight.

Yet you seem to be sure the answer is no?  What is yout evidence

You are wasting your time and energy David. In my short time here I have realised that the forum has some incredibly knowledgeable people but also many who think they know more than they do whilst lacking even a semblance of humility. 

I am curious about the context of this statement.

Was Stradivari talking about sunlight or solar heat?

Was he for-certain writing about "bought to perfection" in the varnishing stage of making? Or at an earlier stage?

Would (is) it difficult for a maker to achieve uniform curing of varnish using just sunlight? It seems to this non-maker that it would be difficult to get sunlight uniformly into all the nooks and crannies of a violin. On the other hand, sitting a violin in the warm sun could cause the seams to open. 

6 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Would (is) it difficult for a maker to achieve uniform curing of varnish using just sunlight? It seems to this non-maker that it would be difficult to get sunlight uniformly into all the nooks and crannies of a violin. On the other hand, sitting a violin in the warm sun could cause the seams to open. 

Not very many places that get hotter than where I'm at maybe excepting NT 30 miles west of here and she'd be a couple degrees hotter.

Dangling around using mono fishing line enables a drying in the sun fiddle to be always turning 99% of the time.  I do believe I had one seem open a few inches on one of my earlier builds.

1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

Was he for-certain writing about "bought to perfection" in the varnishing stage of making? Or at an earlier stage?

No. The context is not fully clear.  Nor is it about new making.

Have you never set instruments out in the sun?  I do this as much as opportunity allows in my new making.  I use to worry.  I no longer do.  I wouldn't put strung onstruments, or someone else's instrument in the sun.  By I've had any bad consequence in putting my instruments in the sun. (Bright sunny Santa Barbara.)

3 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Good work George. I'm glad someone here is asking intelligent questions.

4 hours ago, Brumcello said:

You are wasting your time and energy David. In my short time here I have realised that the forum has some incredibly knowledgeable people but also many who think they know more than they do whilst lacking even a semblance of humility. 

Do you a particular interest in the subject?

5 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Do you a particular interest in the subject?

Again, ignoring or pushing evidence contrary to your position is not in itself evidence for a position.

Do you have any evidence at all against putting instruments in the sun?

Brumcello said “You are wasting your time and energy. In my short time here I have realised that the forum has some incredibly knowledgeable people but also many who think they know more than they do whilst lacking even a semblance of humility.”

I say Well said.

4 hours ago, Rue said:

This week we do...:angry:

We too and I love it

(I'm not over it yet, but in a couple of months or so I promise I won't kill the Maestronet servers, which I heard is in Canada, Anton Lundell got an NHL contract if any comfort.....)