Maestronet Forums

Scottish violin maker and instrument

David Dron

Hi! I am new to this site but am trying to find information about a violin my father left to me some time ago. It was made in 1910 by a James Weir in Edinburgh. My wife played it for some years (starting as a beginner) and it sounds very nice, although not outstanding! Can anyone tell me anything about the maker and possibly what the value of such an instrument might be?

11 minutes ago, David Dron said:

Hi! I am new to this site but am trying to find information about a violin my father left to me some time ago. It was made in 1910 by a James Weir in Edinburgh. My wife played it for some years (starting as a beginner) and it sounds very nice, although not outstanding! Can anyone tell me anything about the maker and possibly what the value of such an instrument might be?

I’m sure someone here can tell you everything you wish to know about makers from the UK, but you should post photographs so they can tell whether it is a true example or not.

Also, please include information and photos of your bow, because it can be a very nice little piece of wood as well and is almost always overlooked as we have seen right now.

Thanks for the suggestions PhilipKT - I should have realised that photos would be a good idea! As for the bow, I assume it is the original. I know that my wife had the horsehair replaced. She also said that when she borrowed her teacher's bow, it made the violin sound much better. I have certainly read that the bow can make a huge difference and that they can cost a very large sum! 

Just been trying to upload some photos and the uploads have all failed - error code 200

David, I would love to see some pics! 
I have a few Edinburgh made violins that also don't appear in the aforementioned books. A few of us (infrequent) posters on here love a Scottish violin.
Thanks
C