Maestronet Forums

How do you calm down an E string?

Sapiens

On 6/7/2021 at 1:52 PM, Mark Norfleet said:

I almost never encounter and instrument that's working as well as it could, especially on the lower end.  By adjusting an instrument to bring out the best of the lower strings generally results in excellent balance across all four.  I don't recall ever encountering an instrument that required special measures to quell the sound of an E string after everything else was working well.  

I should ask first if this is a first time issue with the e string or has it always been like that {harsh}.

So, if everything mentioned was tried to no avail would lowering an overly thick fingerboard be advised to a customer?  What if the fingerboard is just slightly thicker than the prescribed 5.5mm?  

If it were my personal build I'd try a thinner fingerboard, hence cutting the bridge lower and probably thinner hence lowering the poundage/pressure on the belly.  An entirely new voice would be the order afterwards but hopefully the harsh e string tones would be gone.  {hmm, could possibly be made worse too.}

6 hours ago, Mark Norfleet said:

I didn't follow through with the request.  Unfortunately the can of "Great Stuff" was a dud.  Had it not been,

I was going to see about turning the joke on the person who asked me to fill the instrument by making F hole shaped bits of foam to make it look like I had filled the instrument.  That would probably have caused the guy who gave me the foam to fall off his chair.

What? You allow customers to sit down in your shop? ;)

23 minutes ago, uncle duke said:

I should ask first if this is a first time issue with the e string or has it always been like that {harsh}.

So, if everything mentioned was tried to no avail would lowering an overly thick fingerboard be advised to a customer?  What if the fingerboard is just slightly thicker than the prescribed 5.5mm?  

If it were my personal build I'd try a thinner fingerboard, hence cutting the bridge lower and probably thinner hence lowering the poundage/pressure on the belly.  An entirely new voice would be the order afterwards but hopefully the harsh e string tones would be gone.  {hmm, could possibly be made worse too.}

If that is your tack, then why not raise the saddle? Cheaper and easier to reverse if it doesn't work.

14 hours ago, David Burgess said:

What? You allow customers to sit down in your shop? ;)

Only cellists…

I meant that if the intended victim showed up at rehearsal with foam apparently sticking out of his F holes that the foam supplier would have found it very funny, not to mention curious and concerned about what I might have told his colleague.  :)