Maestronet Forums

Varnish qualities- related to decay?

Rue

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Don Noon said:

And you are certain of this, how?  If you know exactly how they looked when new, tell us how they sounded then, too.

They were elite princessly artisan products, from a time and place that produced great art and beautiful objects.

As you point out, there are horizons to our knowing. 

But these instruments were well recieved in their time.  And I am willing to trust that they deserved their good reputations, and looked much as we see the more well preserved examples.  Very fine objects. And some stunningly beautiful.

11 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Degrades it which is why I wouldn’t use it. It is also carcinogenic.  But Mayer wasn’t talking about glue. It was about casein sizing.

And let me add that formaldehyde was applied by spray or brush. It was a surface treatment developed, IIRC, in the late 19th century by paint artists in their effort to minimize moisture issues.

My post was meant to draw a parallel between luthiers and paint artists. I did not mean to suggest that the Cremonese were using formaldehyde.  I was pointing to the apparent switch from hide glue to casein as an issue of reducing moisture effects. The paint artists felt that casein still wasn’t good enough. Sorry for the confusion. 

12 hours ago, David Beard said:

They were elite princessly artisan products, from a time and place that produced great art and beautiful objects.

As you point out, there are horizons to our knowing. 

But these instruments were well recieved in their time.  And I am willing to trust that they deserved their good reputations, and looked much as we see the more well preserved examples.  Very fine objects. And some stunningly beautiful.

Yes, surely they looked and sounded beautiful when they were made. How could anyone doubt this?