Maestronet Forums

Lavest/Gillet violin bow

8 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Paul Childs works one floor up, and could easily weigh in. This isn’t a Gillet, right?

Paul Childs works from home in a very nice timber house in the woods in Montrose NY. Maybe you are thinking of Isaac Salchow?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Paul Childs works from home in a very nice timber house in the woods in Montrose NY. Maybe you are thinking of Isaac Salchow?

Yes, I am referring to Isaac’s shop, but Paul visits Isaac twice a week, I think he told me, or once a week, and Isaac is just one floor above Tarisio, So the experts at Tarisio have easy access to Paul, and Isaac too, for that matter.

Edited by PhilipKT

2 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Yes, I am referring to Isaac’s shop, but Paul visits Isaac twice a week, I think he told me, or once a week, and Isaac is just one floor above Tarisio, So the experts at Tarisio have easy access to Paul, and Isaac too, for that matter.

And that fact alone should answer your question. If it were a "BY" bow, it would be in the regular Tarisio auction instead of T2.

2 minutes ago, duane88 said:

And that fact alone should answer your question. If it were a "BY" bow, it would be in the regular Tarisio auction instead of T2.

Just to clarify, theoretically, it could be a BY bow and still be in T2 because of a condition issue such as a defect or repair.

1 minute ago, duane88 said:

Normally I would agree with you entirely, but I have bought several bows at T2 That were 100% legitimate, By known though not necessarily world class, makers, in perfect condition, and which Played great.

Two of them, in T2, were followed by Exactly the same bow, in exactly the same perfect condition, in the very next “fine” auction, Except this time they were identified as genuine. One pair of bows was by Joseph Halligan, And they could’ve easily just called him up and asked him if there was some kind of question of authenticity.

I was delighted to get both bows, but ever since then I have been on the lookout for bows that might be legitimate, but which for some reason are in T2, Even though they are complete in all their parts, and don’t have any meaningful damage. There’s a Nürnberger in this T2 That looks interesting for instance. 

Yes it is doubtful that this bow is genuine, and it doesn’t look especially French to me, For what it’s worth( Which is very, very little) but based on my own past experience, it is certainly worthwhile to ask The expert, and personally I’m doubtful enough about it that I don’t mind throwing the question out in public.

You acknowledge that T2 operates as a wholesale marketplace, and with respect to any Lot offered at auction, T2 makes no warranties or representations regarding provenance, authenticity, title, attribution, condition, value, composition or marketability. If T2 indicates that a Lot is “labeled” or “stamped” an author, this is not a guarantee or representation of authorship, and Buyer shall have no right to contest the authenticity of such Lot.

1. No Attributions

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, duane88 said:

You acknowledge that T2 operates as a wholesale marketplace, and with respect to any Lot offered at auction, T2 makes no warranties or representations regarding provenance, authenticity, title, attribution, condition, value, composition or marketability. If T2 indicates that a Lot is “labeled” or “stamped” an author, this is not a guarantee or representation of authorship, and Buyer shall have no right to contest the authenticity of such Lot.

1. No Attributions

Yes, so? I’m not disagreeing with any of that, what I’m saying is if you have two bows, equally perfect, by the same maker, why would you put one of them in T2 and one of them in “fine“?

Put them both in the same auction, or if you don’t want them to compete against each other put them in consecutive “fine” auctions.

And all five of the bows to which I refer in the story were perfect. One of them, the singleton, I was able to play in person and I loved it and it was perfect. 

Edited by PhilipKT
Typo

23 minutes ago, duane88 said:

1. No Attributions

Yes, heard about that. One wonders if the nickname "Tbay" isn’t a bit ambitious

51 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Yes, so? I’m not disagreeing with any of that, what I’m saying is if you have two bows, equally perfect, by the same maker, why would you put one of them in T2 and one of them in “fine“?

Put them both in the same auction, or if you don’t want them to compete against each other put them in consecutive “fine” auctions.

This isn't really how things work ...

T2 is a speculative auction. If these auctions didn't have the odd gem then they would lose their allure - there are many people out here who are hardwired to root out bargains, irrespective of the cost.

Some consignors aren't too bothered about reserves - they just want the thing sold.

It's a marriage made in heaven!

51 minutes ago, martin swan said:

This isn't really how things work ...

T2 is a speculative auction. If these auctions didn't have the odd gem then they would lose their allure - there are many people out here who are hardwired to root out bargains, irrespective of the cost.

Some consignors aren't too bothered about reserves - they just want the thing sold.

It's a marriage made in heaven!

Well, in that case I was lucky.

I know nobody goes to sleep at night dreaming about the Joseph Halligan bow they hope to own one day, but the two that I got were splendid sticks. Somebody needs to write a major pamphlet about all the Port Townsend makers, because there are several and every bow I’ve seen by any of them is excellent.

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Yes, heard about that. One wonders if the nickname "Tbay" isn’t a bit ambitious

I look forward to seeing your website after it is set up, because it will be full of incredibly valuable, well researched, information, and there will doubtless be a section in it devoted to your dustbin, Which will be full of “speculative, restorable, mysterious, and possibly wonderful bits that I haven’t had time to work around.”

Id certainly dig through it, Especially if it contained the occasional Ju-ummmm Schweitzer... yeah..

53 minutes ago, martin swan said:

T2 is a speculative auction.

Not entirely. T2 auctions things that are entirely authentic (like E H Roth and H Th Heberlein violins), but are not suitable for their fine auction. These types of things can sell for several thousand dollars, and will sell well in some retail shops. I think the Tarisio description of the T2 auctions as "Auctions for the violin trade" is apt for what it is. 

27 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Not entirely. T2 auctions things that are entirely authentic (like E H Roth and H Th Heberlein violins), but are not suitable for their fine auction. These types of things can sell for several thousand dollars, and will sell well in some retail shops. I think the Tarisio description of the T2 auctions as "Auctions for the violin trade" is apt for what it is. 

Is for instance the violin Labelled, "Hannk Khögl Lauten und Geigenmacher in Wienn / Anno 1680." which is an obvious, easily recognisable mid 19th C Saxon box, in any way “Speculative“ “Wholesale“ or “for the Trade“?. By the way he wrote his name „Hannß, not Hannk, he wasn‘t a Yank. I hope they will take some German lessons before they go to Berlin.

37 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

What I mean by speculative is that it provides no guarantees ....

16 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Is for instance the violin Labelled, "Hannk Khögl Lauten und Geigenmacher in Wienn / Anno 1680." which is an obvious, easily recognisable mid 19th C Saxon box, in any way “Speculative“ “Wholesale“ or “for the Trade“?

I'd say "speculative" and "for the trade." "Wholesale" or not depends on the hammer price.

3 minutes ago, martin swan said:

What I mean by speculative is that it provides no guarantees ....

Got it, thanks for the clarification.

1 minute ago, jacobsaunders said:

In what way, for goodness sake

Somebody in "the trade" might "speculate" that is is something else. As @martin swan said 

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

2 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Strikes me that they are “speculating” that some gormless ‘erbert like Philip will deicide to go on a treasure hunt

Well, in this case, even the most "gormless of ‘erberts" will probably recognize that it is not from 1680, particularly because T2 says it is "MID 19th CENTURY." 

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Strikes me that they are “speculating” that some gormless ‘erbert like Philip will deicide to go on a treasure hunt

Well, it is up to the gormless folk to be careful, and mistakes, I’ve had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

If I were close enough to your shop, I would pop by on a weekly basis and probably make any more mistakes.