Maestronet Forums

tool from Dictum

tartarine

18 hours ago, tartarine said:

Hi

About twenty years ago I bought this tool (see pictures)

I would like to buy a new one but don't seem to be able to locate a seller

Does anybody knows ?

thanIMG_3325.jpg.2573a000d360a359dfeff989471d1fd0.jpgIMG_3326.jpg.e073787255abee066e61df0c34364838.jpgk you for your help

What is that tool, and what is the purpose?

I've been making for around 50 years, and don't recall having ever needed or used a cutting tool shaped like that.

Is it used to cut the sides of the purfling channel?

https://www.fine-tools.com/japcarv1.html

Here you have the same in the set. Hm, you will have to find it in Japan, if you buy just one. 

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Woodcarving - in violin making process has no use. (or maybe you can cut purfling ends.. Maybe) 

If you buy it from Japan or Europe.. You will pay a lot + import charges. Think about purchasing a grinder, find an steel rod and make it. (or a friend with grinder or milling machine)

3 hours ago, Mik Kyklo said:

https://www.fine-tools.com/japcarv1.html

Here you have the same in the set. Hm, you will have to find it in Japan, if you buy just one. 

Woodcarving - in violin making process has no use. (or maybe you can cut purfling ends.. Maybe) 

If you buy it from Japan or Europe.. You will pay a lot + import charges. Think about purchasing a grinder, find an steel rod and make it. (or a friend with grinder or milling machine)

would you know where in Japan? a friend of mine lives in Kyoto , he could order it for me there. do you know the name of the firm which makes them and sell them other than in set?

or may be a shop ?

thanks in advance

5 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I've been making for around 50 years, and don't recall having ever needed or used a cutting tool shaped like that.

Is it used to cut the sides of the purfling channel?

by the way it is also a very good carving tool to make netsuke

9 hours ago, tartarine said:

would you know where in Japan? a friend of mine lives in Kyoto , he could order it for me there. do you know the name of the firm which makes them and sell them other than in set?

or may be a shop ?

thanks in advance

I have no idea. If you google Kawasei you will find everything that is available on internet.

Here you can buy just one (No 13 ) from ebay. I found it in 1 minute -- just google a bit...

1 hour ago, Mik Kyklo said:

I have no idea. If you google Kawasei you will find everything that is available on internet.

Here you can buy just one (No 13 ) from ebay. I found it in 1 minute -- just google a bit...

yes I found that too but it is not what I am looking for. I don't want a wooden handle 

1 hour ago, Hierony said:

Come to think of it it looks like a small skew chiesel with a knurled metal handle. Is the tip particularly good steel or you just like the size/heft of the metal handle?

the steel is the best ever of all my japanese tools, the iron grip, quite thin ( ca 10mm) makes possible to use it in all the positions, it is relatively short . I also have short chisels from Pfeil but the handle is to cumbersome to be used as the Japanese one . So I like all of it !!!!!

I know that there is a Japanese tool maker who makes tools to order. I don't know his name or his address

8 hours ago, tartarane said:

the steel is the best ever of all my japanese tools, the iron grip, quite thin ( ca 10mm) makes possible to use it in all the positions, it is relatively short . I also have short chisels from Pfeil but the handle is to cumbersome to be used as the Japanese one . So I like all of it !!!!!

I know that there is a Japanese tool maker who makes tools to order. I don't know his name or his address

Contact Iida Tomohito and see how much it would be to have it made. 
iida@japantool-iida.com

Jesse