Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Violin Id


jandepora
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, jandepora said:

The violin is now fully functionally, no problem with the cracks or structural consistence. The sound is powerfull and projective. The only problem is the vibrating string legth. The f holes seems to be high and the istance betwen the top rib and the f hole notch is around 185mm. The vibrating string is only 320mm.

 

I would simply  put the bridge and soundpost to the usual 195 mm (soundpost accordingly). As long as the neck projection is still right at this point there should be no problem.

Otherwise the neck needs to be removed and newly installed anyway if one would want to repair the issues at the upper bottom end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

I would simply  put the bridge and soundpost to the usual 195 mm (soundpost accordingly). As long as the neck projection is still right at this point there should be no problem.

And it is how it looks with the bridge in the position where the string length is 329mm.

IMG_20210604_110207_compress58.thumb.jpg.1c84fdc449a87409ba687d122085d2d1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bridge marks are suggesting that it was put there and at different places before. Of course you would need also to adjust the afterlength, maybe using a shorter tailpiece.

The most concerning should be the neck/body stop ratio, not the complete (vibrating) string length. There could also be a possibility to move the nut a bit more downwards. This all depends if a player is or can become used to a slightly shorter string length. Some might appreciate it. How this is affecting sound and playability is another matter, but this can be tested only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, jandepora said:

The violin is now fully functionally, no problem with the cracks or structural consistence. The sound is powerfull and projective. The only problem is the vibrating string legth. The f holes seems to be high and the istance betwen the top rib and the f hole notch is around 185mm. The vibrating string is only 320mm.

 

I say keep it at 320mm and keep checking the neck projection and watching those cracks to see if anything moves. If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I recall, @jacobsaunders has said that he generally ignores where the f-nicks are and just sets up the violin correctly.

5 hours ago, jandepora said:

And it is how it looks with the bridge in the position where the string length is 329mm.

Did the tone improve, get worse, or no difference? Did you have to move the soundpost much?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

i would compromise and set the string length at 325mm

Also a good idea. But if it's powerful at 320 as I think jandepora implied, what's not to like?

Mr Strad used 320mm did he not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Did the tone improve, get worse, or no difference? Did you have to move the soundpost much?

Is worse and the soundpost has to move too far. 

43 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

i would compromise and set the string length at 325mm

That was my last decision. It doesn't compromise the sound and proyection and is easy to play.

35 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Also a good idea. But if it's powerful at 320 as I think jandepora implied, what's not to like?

Mr Strad used 320mm did he not?

Is an strange feeling to play with this short string length and I play a lot of instruments like medieval fiddle, pochette, soprano Gambas, etc. And I  always had the possibility to adapt my fingers quickly, so I am thinking if there is something wrong with the fingerboard.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jandepora said:

Is worse and the soundpost has to move too far. 

That was my last decision. It doesn't compromise the sound and proyection and is easy to play.

Is an strange feeling to play with this short string length and I play a lot of instruments like medieval fiddle, pochette, soprano Gambas, etc. And I  always had the possibility to adapt my fingers quickly, so I am thinking if there is something wrong with the fingerboard.

 

My guess is that the original string length was around 320mm 

It might feel strange for a while, but it will become familiar with practice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

The violin would have originally been baroque, with baroque neck probably nailed on, so a scale of 320mm or thereabouts would not have been unusual.

I would far more presume that the violin originally had a through neck, like the Claude Touly that I illustrated here

I would also speculate that the person who removed it to give it a supposedly “proper” neck, made a dogs dinner of the upper part of the back while he was at it, which is why I would consider it a restauration project

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jandepora said:

That was my last decision. It doesn't compromise the sound and proyection and is easy to play.

Neck length of 130 and stop of 195 are resulting in 325, given you're measuring the string and not flat from nut to the bridge feet, so I was wondering why you put it at 329 anyway?.

As I pointed out, the neck projection has to be right for this bridge position, or one will end up with a bridge of wrong dimensions.

The Cremonese used very different stop/f nick positions (like most of the 18th century makers), from long at the "Long Strads" to short at many Guarneri dGs, so there's no point argueing Strad did it like this and that. Of course everybody is free to get used to every neck/body stop ratio they might like and I'm very remote from being dogmatic in this regards, but if you want to run a violin business it's better to set up an instrument the way most of the players (means customers) are preferring.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, uncle duke said:

What is the value of a fiddle like that?  

No idea; I know what I paid and  I hope I have not pay more than its value in this condition :unsure:

But I am really interested to know what could it be its value... someone could help us?

2 hours ago, sospiri said:

My guess is that the original string length was around 320mm 

It might feel strange for a while, but it will become familiar with practice.

I am beginning to think that could be something wrong with the fingerboard, I am going to dress the ebony because it has grooves of the old strings on it.

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I would also speculate that the person who removed it to give it a supposedly “proper” neck, made a dogs dinner of the upper part of the back while he was at it, which is why I would consider it a restauration project

If I finally change the neck I will look for someone who could restore it in the best possible way and, maybe because I love to play in baroque, to make the neck and fingerboard to baroque manner.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jandepora said:

No idea; I know what I paid and  I hope I have not pay more than its value in this condition :unsure:

But I am really interested to know what could it be its value... someone could help us?

 

I was thinking would this piece of work just set with the rest of the $700 - 900 violins or would it be moved around to somewhere else?  It's old and more than likely French - kinda rare considering what was going on back then in that country.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...