Maestronet Forums

Forum Quiz - what is this stringed instrument?

BassClef

Background info: photos taken at a museum in Manhattan

What culture is this from? Maybe the display is undergoing renovations - all I know is the culture/region that this instrument was labeled as being from. Any guesses?

4C21501B-8013-4E8E-85F3-05106963B126.jpeg

5BC3766D-01BC-435B-9354-A85A4D7BB3F6.jpeg

5046D032-10B8-4CAD-8799-51E61A809AE1.jpeg

16 minutes ago, BassClef said:

Background info: photos taken at a museum in Manhattan

What culture is this from? Maybe the display is undergoing renovations - all I know is the culture/region that this instrument was labeled as being from. Any guesses?

4C21501B-8013-4E8E-85F3-05106963B126.jpeg

5BC3766D-01BC-435B-9354-A85A4D7BB3F6.jpeg

5046D032-10B8-4CAD-8799-51E61A809AE1.jpeg

Did you fit the bridge? It might have been easier if you had done a fingerboard first:)

It looks to me like a (atypically long) variant of the Indian sarinda.  These include the Persian ghaychak,and the Nepali sarangi, but variants are found all over the Central Asian region.  The long neck and 6 strings resembles the Persian tar the most, but it lacks the tar's frets, and the body's more like a sarinda.  My guess, given the lack of the refinement that's often seen in instruments from the former Soviet republics, is that it's from one of the Turkic nomadic groups of Iran or northern Afghanistan.  :)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Sarinda1.gif

The horse head looks very Chinese, but the Chinese do not seem to  have a six stringed instrument. Horses are also associated with Arabia and into Spain. The crudity of the carving and the six strings look a bit Spanish  gypsy in origin. But the body looks African.

I guess Violadamore has already got it right, but just to add something else I will go for a Spanish "Rabele".

I have usually heard this instrument called a "dramyin" in Tibetan Buddhist circles.

For what it is worth, it is really a three string instrument with each string in a pair, like the mandolin.

Played with a pick like a mandolin.  They make quite a racket.