Maestronet Forums

Mays Badgett Violin Repair Atlanta GA

JMo Music

I traded for an older instrument recently that has a "Mays Badgett" repair tag in it. Anyone familiar? I think he made instruments according to an ad in the Atlanta Paper from 1927. My tag is from 1907 and another for his wife Mabel Badgett that made??? strings??? Plays and looks sound. No other marking or labels unless they are covered by repair label. A real puzzle. I know it's probably cheap but it's a guinea pig for me. Any records of the name will be appreciated

Mays Badgett Atlanta pic 3.jpg

Mays Badgett Atlanta pic 2.jpg

Mays Badgett Atlanta pic.jpg

6 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

It would seem to be a violin from the Markneukirchen industry from the end of the 19th C. 

This has likely been addressed somewhere before (in which case, I would love to know where best to look), but I am curious how one differentiates between late 19th & early 20th C instruments from the large European centers of stringed instrument production. Is there something about increasing levels of mechanization that shows in the making of the instruments? Or independent of mechanization a transformation from cottage industry to factory organization? Anything else besides the experience of working with 100s of the instruments useful for making the distinction?

15 minutes ago, gottawonder said:

This has likely been addressed somewhere before (in which case, I would love to know where best to look), but I am curious how one differentiates between late 19th & early 20th C instruments from the large European centers of stringed instrument production.

I tried some years ago, to explain how to tell between 19th C Mittenwald and Markneukirchen area tradeinstruments, here 

1 minute ago, jacobsaunders said:

I tried some years ago, to explain how to tell between 19th C Mittenwald and Markneukirchen area tradeinstruments, here

Thanks for sending that link; I've gotten sidetracked by the beer section of that primer more than once.

I probably did not express myself clearly in my first post to the thread. What I am specifically wondering about now is making the chronological distinction, not the regional/geographical one. How does one tell late 19th C Markneukirchen from early 20th C Markneukirchen, for example?