Maestronet Forums

Hold Heet glue pot still available?

Woodland

If you happen to have one of the Chicago-made classic Hold-Heet automatic glue pots, you may want to take care of it and hang onto it. Everyone I've seen that normally sells them online/in-store appears to be sold out and I can't find a working web page for Emco Electric. Google says "Temporarily closed", so I'm not sure what the story is. I'm currently coasting on my first rebuild (10+ years and going strong) and my home shop glue pot is strictly for making instruments and doesn't see the daily use it once did. I have access to two for daily repair use at the repair shop so I'm hoping I'm good for a while. Not sure what's involved in a rebuild but even simple electronics aren't my forte.

The beauty of the Heet pot is the temperature control.  The devices respondents suggest cannot be left on; so, they are not a solution.

Go to ebay and search for PID temperature controller.  Lots of devices to chose from for less than $50.  You may need a solid state switch or maybe not, depending on what type of switch is inside the controller.  Pay attention to the power needs of you heating element in the glue pot--remember, this is an inductive load.  You will need a thermocouple to sit inside the pot (water side).  You will need to do some simple electrical wiring and probably put the controller in a box.

Mike D

1 hour ago, Mike_Danielson said:

....The devices respondents suggest cannot be left on; so, they are not a solution.....

I leave mine on as long as I am working with glue.. and it holds the temp right on.  Mind you I installed a thermometer thru the lid into the water so that I can keep an eye on the temperature just by looking... otherwise you would have to proactively take temp readings.

Cheers, Mat

I have a Hold Heet pot that I don't use any more, and maybe I'll wait until they become collectors' items before selling it on eBay.  It's too big and slow to heat for my use, so now I use one of the cheapo wax warmers.  They certainly can be left on, as I have accidentally proven.

I already have two PID temperature controllers that I use for varnish pots and my torrification chamber, but I haven't bothered with using them for glue pots.  The integrated bimetal thermostat works well enough for me.

This looks like a candidate. Has a lift-out inner pot so you don't have to take the whole thing to the sink. Probably couldn't use the lid, since condensation would run outside the pot.

https://www.spaandequipment.com/Single-Wax-Warmer.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwktKFBhCkARIsAJeDT0gpvj_-hmp18th3jOnNTn9DZcMNYS4d-IDvIe3hWdKXTqfazFokQfUaAiIXEALw_wcB

I have one of the little crock pots with a PID controller that I put together. I also have a brand new Hold Heet glue pot that was given to me, but the crock pot works so well, I have never even considered trying the commercial glue pot.

The PID allows me to leave the glue pot on all day without having to worry about overheating.

1 hour ago, Carl Stross said:

Baby bottle warmers are dirt cheap, safe and work wonderfully. Some can boil, too.

The cheapest ones don't seem to have temperature control, advising "Please take out the bottle in time to prevent overheat". And if they don't overheat, warming glue up to body temperature is probably not the ideal glue temperature.

49 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

I have one of the little crock pots with a PID controller that I put together. I also have a brand new Hold Heet glue pot that was given to me, but the crock pot works so well, I have never even considered trying the commercial glue pot.

The PID allows me to leave the glue pot on all day without having to worry about overheating.

I have a PID controller too, for varnish cooking, but I would much rather turn a dial or push a switch than go through all the steps and complexities of using a PID controller for glue temperature, bringing with it the increased potential for mistakes. An old-fashioned bi-metal switch seems to work just fine for glue temperature control.

Varnish outcomes can vary quite a bit with a few degrees difference in temperature. Glue, not so much.

20 minutes ago, Woodland said:

I've used two baby bottle warmers over the years, and they are cheap, but neither one of them lasted a year. Then again I don't think they're made to last.

No need for them to last, since most folks in the "more advanced" nations are not prolific breeders, although there are some outliers in various sub-cultures.

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

The cheapest ones don't seem to have temperature control, advising "Please take out the bottle in time to prevent overheat". And if they don't overheat, warming glue up to body temperature is probably not the ideal glue temperature.

That could be but I've never seen those. I checked just now on Amazon and I see they're not "dirt cheap". But I bought them from Banggood. They were aprox $12.   I have two kinds : one heats up to 74C or so and one can boil, the idea is that it can sterilize, too. Both have adjustable temp and hold it pretty tight.  The only irritation from them was the power cable - it was very stiff. I replaced that with cloth covered cable for clothes irons.  I use small glass jars in them, one buys in bulk.

11 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I have a PID controller too, for varnish cooking, but I would much rather turn a dial or push a switch than go through all the steps and complexities of using a PID controller for glue temperature, bringing with it the increased potential for mistakes. An old-fashioned bi-metal switch seems to work just fine for glue temperature control.

Once the controller is set, there's no need to adjust it again. Mine returns to the same preset temperature every time I switch on the power.