Maestronet Forums

Property of a Lady

'Property of a Lady' appears to be an auction term I see at Bromptons Auctions. I know the topic of what auction condition terms for violins mean has been discussed here (for example, what is an 'interesting' violin?) but I have not seen any definitive answer as to what this term means. While searching for clues on google, I found there is a James Bond novel by Ian Fleming called 'The Property of a Lady' with the plot centering around an auction.

I am intrigued. What ever does this mean?

57 minutes ago, caerolle said:

Only played at church on Sundays, very gently played even then, lol. (Assumes you know about the Little Old Lady of used car ads, lol).

^_^

FWIW...if I and my husband were selling our cars...you'd be much better off buying mine.

2 hours ago, Rue said:

Says a lot about the "ladies" you hang out with...

You say that like it’s a bad thing!

Even the English gotta carouse once in a while.

Meanwhile, when I helped my friend sell her Sacarampella cello through Brompton’s, It was listed as, “property of a lady” and I, then and now, wondered what the hell that meant.

I decided it was just meaningless fluff, and I ignore it when I see it today

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Does this mean that my rubbish is automatically worth more than yours?  :huh:  I'm in favor of that.  :lol:

Not necessarily. Sometimes they declare "Property of a gentleman." I am waiting to see "Property of an ogre."

Maybe they mean this?  From Encyclopedia Britannica

Lady, in the British Isles, a general title for any peeress below the rank of duchess and also for the wife of a baronet or of a knight. Before the Hanoverian succession, when the use of “princess” became settled practice, royal daughters were styled Lady Forename or the Lady Forename. “Lady” is ordinarily used as a less formal alternative to the full title of a countess, viscountess, or baroness; where the name is territorial, the “of ” is dropped—thus the Vicountess of A. but Lady A. The daughters of dukes, marquesses, and earls also have, by courtesy, the title of lady prefixed to their forename and surname—e.g., Lady Jane Grey.

Hmm. I think you're right.

But, I  wonder, has the term become more generic? If so, I wonder if spelling would matter?

"Property of a Lady" - title.

"Property of a lady" - owned by a nice woman. ^_^

7 hours ago, Jeny Mahon said:

Maybe they mean this?  From Encyclopedia Britannica

Lady, in the British Isles, a general title for any peeress below the rank of duchess and also for the wife of a baronet or of a knight

Yes, but I think you will find that “Lady” is the polite way to address any old hag, and lends itself to a sarcastic usage

15 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Yes, but I think you will find that “Lady” is the polite way to address any old hag, and lends itself to a sarcastic usage

Ah I see... so we're back to "property of a batty old hoarder"! :D

I’m absolutely sure it means property of a  ‘Lady’ rank from nobility no more less than property of a ‘Duke, Sir, Knight, Baron, etc.).

The violin probably belonged to a Lady of stature in nobility who sees no reason to keep it and probably will donate the auction proceeds to charity.