Maestronet Forums

ethics of just sticking stuff together

On 6/2/2021 at 7:23 PM, TimRobinson said:

Turns out it was Richard Tognett after all, he's so expressly anti historical performance that he's releasing Bach Harpsichord concertos played on piano instead of Harpsichord, a musical dinosaur.

22 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Turns out it was Richard Tognett after all, he's so expressly anti historical performance that he's releasing Bach Harpsichord concertos played on piano instead of Harpsichord, a musical dinosaur.

A7EC256A-13B4-4819-936E-24880ACCD8DB.jpeg.ba566f7b49abf9c9fcb74ad7b4a1d269.jpeg

Hard to play piano, with such short arms and only three claws.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:42 PM, chiaroscuro_violins said:

1. We've all seen franken-fiddles.  These instruments that already exist are often great playing instruments and don't bother anybody.

Not sure about that, some are great,but,,, I've known some highly annoying troublesome sneaky fiddles in my time.

2.  However, is there not an ethical question to consider when creating them?  

No

3. I doubt anybody would argue with carving a new top, etc. in the style of the original maker. 

Done that a few times

4. What I'm referring to is the cobbling together of various finished bits from different instruments.  To me, it just seems disrespectful to the people who made the instruments, even if it is only "the usual." 

Do you feel guilty going to a salvage yard?  Maybe send a note to the guy that poured that particular engine casting? The person made it and sold it, got paid for it, they own it no longer,, we make them into gods for our own pleasure and curiosity, and as a species we need that. Certainly if we are talking about a valuable piece from a highly esteemed maker, proceed with caution, but I doubt if anyone not capable of making that decision will ever end up in that position. It could be considered disrespectful not to use a perfectly good part at the appropriate time, or just stupid. respect has taken on some strange dimensions of definition lately,, has it not?

5. On the other hand, isn't it also reprehensible to not build the odd parts into a violin that someone can play and love?  

Do you have a few pieces lying around that you might feel a bit apprehensive over.

And for the reasons that you mention

I do.

6.  Why leave good violin parts collecting dust? 

Life is short, death is so long, and time is so elusive.

7.  In general I'm referring to rib assemblies, plates, and necks from unknown instruments.  And obviously it's unethical to try to pass off a hodge-podge instrument as fully original.  

Fantastic parts to make use of,,, for inexpensive players,,, for repairs,,,for experiments.

Grateful for cadavers,,,,No?

8. I have never actually built a composite violin BTW.  

Congratulations if you don't ever,, or if you do ever,,,,,,,,

9.What do you think?

Summers finally arrived,,

Just grateful.