Maestronet Forums

Bow Id help

Osiraphael

Hi this ‘fine antique French bow’ I bought recently is unmarked. Now I did not buy it as anything fine but it’s better than what I had and due to the pandemic non-work situation it was affordable. 

can anyone tell me what it actually is? Maybe German factory bow?

thanks in advance,

Matt.

BAB86EB4-FFB2-4544-BFE3-D5AA68323DA5.thumb.jpeg.9b4c4009272ce4403740ce25392fe0e2.jpeg

9571B3AD-AC6E-4BC8-A4EB-818D7F449677.jpeg

7A645BB2-8BF4-4169-BAE0-772F4D90128D.jpeg

EA004904-07A8-48B2-A820-15F5A3743C1C.jpeg

26682060-28E9-4785-892D-3EFC49FC9631.jpeg

F7114CF0-A77C-416C-A21E-BD5239D7192D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Osiraphael said:

I know it wasn’t what it was sold as and it was very cheap but I get the point. It’ll go in the bin…….

I won't ask how much you paid, but it was too much. 

But don't worry there are millions of much better bows out there. 

7 hours ago, Osiraphael said:

I know it wasn’t what it was sold as and it was very cheap but I get the point. It’ll go in the bin…….

No need to toss it in the bin. If it plays well, it plays well. Many cheap bows are excellent players.

Have it haired and find out before you make any decision.

10 minutes ago, Rue said:

No need to toss it in the bin. If it plays well, it plays well. Many cheap bows are excellent players.

For the price and inconvenience of a rehair one could purchase something much better on ebay from China. Just sayin.

2 hours ago, Rue said:

The OP's bow looks like it weighs a ton and is poorly cambered. It may even be a viola bow.

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

The OP's bow looks like it weighs a ton and is poorly cambered. It may even be a viola bow.

OP PM'd me said he reached his maximum number of posts in 1 day so could not post again today.

He said the bow was a violin bow, and  it weighed 57g and was 74cm long.

The only other bows I had to compare the camber to was a student Arpreggio carbon bow and an old unknown bow. It was a bit straighter on the middle of the bow by about 1-2mm but matched exactly the shape of the Arpreggio bow otherwise, even the head and position.The old unknown bow was even straighter than this bow! So to me it seemed an ok bow and an upgrade from the carbon fibre bow. It weighed 57g without hair and was 74cm long. 

I paid £150 for it but I’ve put that down to a tax on stupidity. I’ll try to buy a Dorfler or something when I can afford it again. 

It’s now gone so that’s the end of that.