Maestronet Forums

Gluing cello centre joint.

tango

28 minutes ago, tango said:

David and Nathan.

The weak joint mentioned in the previous post looks well. So I was thinking about the way I prepared the glue or the density not the clamping. I don´t know.

Regards  both

Tango

Tango, more details would be helpful for diagnosis, such as how you arrived at the water dilution ratio of the glue you used.

I'm not sure how important the precise temperature is. I was taught 140 F (60 C) for temperature and have never deviated from that. I tend to not to try to fix things that are not broken. Although I'm sure there should be an acceptable ideal temperature range.

On 5/28/2021 at 3:08 AM, Jim Bress said:

I'm not sure how important the precise temperature is. I was taught 140 F (60 C) for temperature and have never deviated from that. I tend to not to try to fix things that are not broken. Although I'm sure there should be an acceptable ideal temperature range.

140/145° F (60/62° C) is the ideal glue temperature (Weisshaar). I heat it to 70° C to have a little more open time, if it is the first time that you heat it and you do not leave it at this temperature for a long period of time, I doubt it will be damaged. At least I have no evidence.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:42 AM, tango said:

OK
Density and temperature: two points I must control better. Thanks

Yes, it doesn't take a lot of effort and if you don't, every time you will have anxiety about whether your joint will hold or not.

It's not cool to find out while making the thicknesses:)

Well . I see that underestimate the temperature. 

About density:

I saw when waiting a while for gluing, the glue became dense so I added more water controlling the density with a drop over a piece of paper and spreading with a finger.
Does your glue lose water if it takes too long to work?
I am guessing that my glue lose a lot of water due to the high temp I used. May be?

Way too many variables. I use fresh glue swelling overnight, 4:1 and use it immediately after heating so no chance of it changing. I follow Davide's method of pouring a thick bead in the joint, not only prevents dry joint but the large amount of glue ensure the joint stays hot for a long period and minimizes evaporation.