Maestronet Forums

Strange neck block?

Aurella

Hi everyone :) I've picked up this little 1/2 size violin, not totally sure of its date or where it was made. A bit crude in some areas, but in others not too bad. The purfling is properly done, and the interior top and bass bar are carved quite well. However I'm curious about the weird neck block (or lack thereof). Is this original or some kind of hack job? It looks like there is a nail above it as well, a bit hard to tell. Photos are beneath. Thanks for any help! (P.S. no corner blocks)

20210525_215159.jpg

20210525_215212.jpg

20210525_215231.jpg

20210525_215241.jpg

WIN_20210525_22_38_23_Pro.jpg

These are generally "cottage industry" violins. Often from the Markneukirchen area of Germany. Usually not well made. (The scroll on yours fits that.) I'd probably place the "cut off date" for this type a bit later than 1870.

The through neck is actually pretty common (I think that I have 4 or 5 around). As long as the neck angle is OK, it's not an issue. If the neck angle is off, there can be problems trying to correct it.

11 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

These are generally "cottage industry" violins. Often from the Markneukirchen area of Germany. Usually not well made. (The scroll on yours fits that.) I'd probably place the "cut off date" for this type a bit later than 1870.

The through neck is actually pretty common (I think that I have 4 or 5 around). As long as the neck angle is OK, it's not an issue. If the neck angle is off, there can be problems trying to correct it.

Thank you, yes I was leaning towards 1800s but wasn't sure. No label so cottage industry fits (plus of course the chunky monkey scroll :lol:)

The neck angle is fine but I'll have to replace the fingerboard, it's not very pretty. I think I'll keep the original nut as I like its unstained look.

There is a very tiny hairline gap where the ribs meet the neck, I was wondering about that but now I understand about the through neck it makes sense. Would a bit of hide glue with sawdust do to seal it up?