Maestronet Forums

marsupilami strikes again

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

It seems like vandalism to open up an otherwise very clean early 19th century French violin just to insert some fake brands - all so you can fail to sell it on Ebay for about what it would have been worth without them.

So true...

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

It seems like vandalism to open up an otherwise very clean early 19th century French violin just to insert some fake brands - all so you can fail to sell it on Ebay for about what it would have been worth without them.

To me, the top does not look like it has been off any time recently.

15 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Take a look at the photo showing the neck root - you will see a lot of tearout to the underside of the top plate.

Yes, thanks, I see that now. Do you think dabbing mud under the edge along the rib is part of the counterfeiting process?

4 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

To me, the top does not look like it has been off any time recently.

If one knows what they are doing, you won't be able to tell very easily, and certainly not from pictures on fleabay.

7 hours ago, martin swan said:

I would see this more in the middle of the 19th, or even later. Otherwise  I agree 100%. A Mangenot brand would have been the better choice.:ph34r: