Maestronet Forums

Sunday In The Park With George...

Cathode Ray

Actually it was Saturday when I visited George Behary at his home in Loxehatchee. I am new to fiddling and he was gracious enough to share his insight and knowledge(which is extensive!) with me. I have made a couple fiddles and was searching for a critique of my work.
We talked violins old and new how each of us came to our interest in them. George is not only a competent luthier but a very accomplished machinist - he showed me  specialized luthiery tools he has made. We discussed our common interest in things ranging from aircraft to beer brewing - he a true renaissance man.
It's nice to know there are people around willing to share and help the neophytes. Thanks much for your time and knowledge George.

Cathode Ray (aka Ashley Davis)

P1010014.JPG

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your post.

I have moved this thread into the pegbox for now, but if you are looking for a critique of some of your work I would suggest posting a thread in the Makers Gallery Forum and adding a few more detailed photos of your work.

There are many talented makers on the forum that will glady give you some advice I am sure.

Shelbow

30 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

I have moved this thread into the pegbox for now

I wondered how you could move stuff - only admin can do that - and then I saw the "moderator badge"

Is that new, or have I been asleep ?

Anyways, i shall have to remember not to tread on your toes from now on  :lol:

Congrats are in order. :)

I just stepped in recently to help Jeff out in regards to approving posts a bit quicker as he was the only moderator. As he is in the US there is always a period of time in the day that he may not be able to review posts. With me being in the UK it means we can cover things a bit quicker.

I can approve, move and delete things but that is about it. I will leave Jeff to do the official moderation as he is much more experienced than I.

Dont worry, please feel free to pull me up on anything stupid I say or do as per before :D

Ashley,

Thanks for stopping by.  I had a great time talking with you and admiring the fiddles that you made.  Stop by anytime....the beer is always cold and the ramblings of another old timer are always free!  Cokes are always a nickel....Nickels are on top of the machine!  There is another maker near by that I will invite over next time.  I haven’t seen him since covid, but he will probably be happy to bring a few of his fiddles over too.

On 5/23/2021 at 9:41 AM, Shelbow said:

I just stepped in recently to help Jeff out in regards to approving posts a bit quicker as he was the only moderator. As he is in the US there is always a period of time in the day that he may not be able to review posts. With me being in the UK it means we can cover things a bit quicker.

...and a pleasure it is to have you on-board.  I've been able to visit the board, moderate a little, AND get some work done!!  :) 

Definitely good to share the responsibility. It's not fair on one person to have to bear the burden of the violin communities hive mind by themselves! :lol:

Also I get notifications direct to my phone when something needs approval so I can approve stuff everywhere whilst I'm on the go :wub:

On 5/23/2021 at 5:52 AM, Cathode Ray said:

Actually it was Saturday when I visited George Behary at his home in Loxehatchee. I am new to fiddling and he was gracious enough to share his insight and knowledge(which is extensive!) with me. I have made a couple fiddles and was searching for a critique of my work.
We talked violins old and new how each of us came to our interest in them. George is not only a competent luthier but a very accomplished machinist - he showed me  specialized luthiery tools he has made. We discussed our common interest in things ranging from aircraft to beer brewing - he a true renaissance man.
It's nice to know there are people around willing to share and help the neophytes. Thanks much for your time and knowledge George.

Cathode Ray (aka Ashley Davis)

P1010014.JPG

nice violin, wow Fl. that's what a free state looks like, geez golly, so much wow