Maestronet Forums

Slight deformed/kinked Rib, leave it?

Regit

Hi, I started reading the wonderful posts in this forum since the beginning of the year and this is my first post. I am not a player, but my boy is, and I would like to learn as much about the violin to support him as the “equipment manager”.

Recently, I realised that at the lower treble bout of my son’s violin, there is a very slight indent to the rib. I have read about deformed rib due to humidity changes; tight chinrest, etc. But I am not sure what caused the indent on this violin.

I have 2 questions and hope that the folks here can provide some advice:

1) is this something that needs to be attended immediately? Or leave it be?

2) it does not looks like impact damage (I am guessing) and would like to know what can case a slight indent like this. If this is due to user error, we would like to correct it and prevent further aggravation.

I am a noob at this, so apologies if this is really no source for concerns.

Regit

88231F72-A2CD-4E16-AB68-E096B3461591.jpeg

8 hours ago, Regit said:

Hi, I started reading the wonderful posts in this forum since the beginning of the year and this is my first post. I am not a player, but my boy is, and I would like to learn as much about the violin to support him as the “equipment manager”.

Recently, I realised that at the lower treble bout of my son’s violin, there is a very slight indent to the rib. I have read about deformed rib due to humidity changes; tight chinrest, etc. But I am not sure what caused the indent on this violin.

I have 2 questions and hope that the folks here can provide some advice:

1) is this something that needs to be attended immediately? Or leave it be?

2) it does not looks like impact damage (I am guessing) and would like to know what can case a slight indent like this. If this is due to user error, we would like to correct it and prevent further aggravation.

I am a noob at this, so apologies if this is really no source for concerns.

Regit

88231F72-A2CD-4E16-AB68-E096B3461591.jpeg

Do you have any way to mark what you are seeing? 

There is a definite chip to the table edge. The rib deformity is probably a result of manufacture in a different climate. To repair it requires opening a seam and so forth. If the violin is otherwise solid and playable, I'd leave it alone, plan for a full service some time in the future, and consider an upgrade as well.

30 minutes ago, Delabo said:

I have looked carefully and am unable to see what Mark is seeing ?

But what I can see is the damage to the top plate edge. Lots of little chips.  Whats causing that ?

rib indent_LI (2).jpg

Normal wear and tear in the hand of of a violinist.

I see a wave in the rib along it’s length and below your line that is evidenced by a dark area just below your line and corresponding light areas above and below that which look very much like reflections that give me an idea of the deformation.

I see it. From about 1" to 3" to the right of the chinrest, and the top, upper rib joint. As long as the joint is not open, and the rib is not cracked, leave it. Proper repair would be very expensive, and would require removing the top, removing that section of rib, reforming the rib in custom forms, and re-assembling the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Rothwein said:

Do you have any way to mark what you are seeing? 

There is a definite chip to the table edge. The rib deformity is probably a result of manufacture in a different climate. To repair it requires opening a seam and so forth. If the violin is otherwise solid and playable, I'd leave it alone, plan for a full service some time in the future, and consider an upgrade as well.

37 minutes ago, Delabo said:

I have looked carefully and am unable to see what Mark is seeing ?

But what I can see is the damage to the top plate edge. Lots of little chips.  Whats causing that ?

Here's the area marked. It is very slight and I hope it is just the OCD in me LOL. But if it is something that will develop into serious failure in the future, I would like to correct it early.

The chips are indeed wear and tear. Other than these, the violin sounds great and play like a dream! 

2076377834_ViolinRib.thumb.jpeg.34bceb06748b3e8a429a4f9e180f049c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I find it odd that the rib is kinked there like that, because this is usually caused by an over-tight chin rest, and that is obviously not the cause here.  Don't worry about it; there's no reason to do anything.

Most likely this has been there since the violin was new caused by improper bending technique and or reaction wood of some kind in the wood itself.