Maestronet Forums

Your favourite violin colour is:

Rue

What is your favourite overall colour for violins or other violin family instruments?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite overall violin/viola/cello/bass colour is:

• Yellow
    • Orange
    • Red
    • Light brown
    • Dark brown
    • "Black", old Viennese

26 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Yes, fortified with just enough Barenjager to add depth to the flavor. Still working on the perfect ratio. ;)

And you WILL succeed.

The time that you just grabbed a few thing threw them together, before a trip or something in a hurry,,, just doin it from the hip,,,

The Best ever!

but wait? I did what?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Very, very good.  Plays easily, projects well, and resonates very noticeably.  It's an Italian amateur made violin by Mario Salustri (in Albano Laziale, near Rome) that his widow sold through an Amati auction in 2019.  I couldn't be happier with it.  :)

The one lovely instrument that scratches that itch,,, is always wonderful to own, glad that you found each other, a match made in Rome.

It has a face,, that a mother could love!

I've never been accused of that.

I follow Henry Ford for selling instruments

'You can choose any color as long as it is black':D

-------------------------------

For replicas the answer is evidently the color of the original.

For full varnished instruments I actually do follow wishes of the client who ordered it.

My personal taste goes more like: anything what enhances the beauty of the wood and therefore is probably more about depth and refraction than color itself.

Thanks for asking this question!  I've always been curious what others think.  Pictures are lovely.  

I like it when a violin looks very different in different lighting conditions.  I have noticed some vary more than others.  I don't know if this is desirable, but it is to me.  

Otherwise, I think it really depends on the wood figure, model, workmanship, and antiquing (real or imitation).  IMO, red looks really nice on old or tastefully antiqued fiddles, but less so on new-looking ones.  Old instruments can get away with a lot more opacity; if it's new, I wanna see the wood!  Furthermore, hue varies.  How much green is in brown?  Is "red" a Mittenwald red or a Cremonese red? (I slightly prefer Mittenwald, but that's probably because Cremonese red is over-imitated)

Recently, I've been enamored of the color of the Georgie Stoll Amati.  It tastes like chicken, I know, but a damn good chicken.  

22 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I find wood in all it natural colors wonderful. Our job as maker’s is to help show how special the wood is. Here’s a piece of maple (pic from this morning) that has never had any finish other my hands and many many loaves of breads and pies. Is it yellow or brown?

E20D14DD-7549-442E-9ACF-B2ED03F47E6C.thumb.jpeg.68ca5f838dd777df9322878d70955b37.jpeg

That's what I think too natural looks best.  If you like dark colored wood, use a dark colored wood rather than using a light color one with stain or colored varnish.  There's plenty of choices--cherry, walnut, chestnut etc.

What kind of pie did that turn out to be?

Along the same lines, I like straight apple pie with no added spices at all--no cinnamon, nutmeg etc.  No sugar either.

What 

23 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I find wood in all it natural colors wonderful. Our job as maker’s is to help show how special the wood is. Here’s a piece of maple (pic from this morning) that has never had any finish other my hands and many many loaves of breads and pies. Is it yellow or brown?

E20D14DD-7549-442E-9ACF-B2ED03F47E6C.thumb.jpeg.68ca5f838dd777df9322878d70955b37.jpeg

That is lovely :)  Now I want pie!  

47 minutes ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

That's what I think too natural looks best.  If you like dark colored wood, use a dark colored wood rather than using a light color one with stain or colored varnish.  There's plenty of choices--cherry, walnut, chestnut etc.

What kind of pie did that turn out to be?

Along the same lines, I like straight apple pie with no added spices at all--no cinnamon, nutmeg etc.  No sugar either.

What 

Blueberry pie, with a bit of grated Granny Smith apple for the tartness and pectin. Pie’s should have some complexity in taste and texture. Metaphorically similar to varnish. If you can taste one specific spice or ingredient, you probably added too much.  
27E41CF9-0722-40D3-B613-36BE74FA045B.thumb.jpeg.6507c7facdb7c906adc645cf9a62271d.jpeg

Wait a minute.  Since we're here to nail things down and take all the art out of an art, I want to know the Pantones!!

Take 'Orange' for example.  In the hands of some, that could be a universe of possibilities.  But if we're going to retool violin making into something as straight forward as painting the garage, we can't have such artsy ambiguity.

What Pantone numbers are we talking here?

17 minutes ago, Deo Lawson said:

I especially love the "Eye of Sauron" scroll.

thanks, all that stuff is early work, seems like another lifetime ago...literally a different world back then.

16 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

thanks, all that stuff is early work, seems like another lifetime ago...literally a different world back then.

Did you offer Mr. Stross a good deal?  I could see him using one of those.

On 5/23/2021 at 6:35 PM, Jim Bress said:

Blueberry pie, with a bit of grated Granny Smith apple for the tartness and pectin. Pie’s should have some complexity in taste and texture. Metaphorically similar to varnish. If you can taste one specific spice or ingredient, you probably added too much.  
27E41CF9-0722-40D3-B613-36BE74FA045B.thumb.jpeg.6507c7facdb7c906adc645cf9a62271d.jpeg

Being quite the "Pie master" {not related to beast master} If I might suggest Blackberry/Apple/Pecan with a dash of cinnamon.  Chop the pecans into "nibs" and then render them in sugar separately then mix with the apple and berry , subtle, yet complex

16 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

Being quite the "Pie master" {not related to beast master} If I might suggest Blackberry/Apple/Pecan with a dash of cinnamon.  Chop the pecans into "nibs" and then render them in sugar separately then mix with the apple and berry , subtle, yet complex

Interesting combination. I’ve had success with “black and blue” berry pies, and of course pecan pie, but haven’t combined pecans and berries. By request I’ll be making some version of a peach pie/cobbler. As always, adding a little something to pleasantly surprise the gathering. Thanks for the tip. 

6 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Interesting combination. I’ve had success with “black and blue” berry pies, and of course pecan pie, but haven’t combined pecans and berries. By request I’ll be making some version of a peach pie/cobbler. As always, adding a little something to pleasantly surprise the gathering. Thanks for the tip. 

Mmm'pie ;)

I noticed no one, so far, has chosen yellow. Yet I see a fair number of yellow violins in existence out in the big wide world...

(Georges Cunault 1898 via Martin, and a contemporary violin by Chris Andrew)

5392cunault-violin-front-msv.jpg

violin_eleven.JPG

On 5/22/2021 at 9:36 PM, Jim Bress said:

I still agree with Jim that natural color looks best.  I scraped off all the finish on the Chris Andrew violin that Rue had shown us and revarnished it without any yellow color stain or varnish to reveal its natural wood colors as seen in the attached photo.

I hope Chris Andrew has a sense of humor. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 8.14.42 PM.png

5 hours ago, Rue said:

I noticed no one, so far, has chosen yellow

Yellow is complicated.  Often, old instruments that appear yellow were originally varnished much darker, but have been worn away down to the ground.  In my opinion, those are the best looking yellow violins.  But would it be proper to call them yellow?