Maestronet Forums

A hunch worked!

Bought this violin for a fair sum years ago.  Just started using it and found it had a G (finger 2) on the E string that wasn't very stable - it kinda fluttered.  I tried a few things but found this bit of eraser (see below) worked.  What have I done?  Anyone grasp a rational here?  Thanks.

2ndviolin.JPG

1 hour ago, keyboardclass said:

Anyone grasp a rational here?  Thanks.

Prof Hesse, who invented the “Lupus ex” wolf eliminator, told me, that a wolf note (I presume that is what you have) was caused when the top to bottom vibrations cause a turbulence with the side to side vibrations. Presumably, your rubber (eraser for Americans) has hindered this turbulence. I presume it would also do this if you inserted it elsewhere:)

12 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

Bought this violin for a fair sum years ago.  Just started using it and found it had a G (finger 2) on the E string that wasn't very stable - it kinda fluttered.  I tried a few things but found this bit of eraser (see below) worked.  What have I done?  Anyone grasp a rational here?  Thanks.

1. See if bridge and sound post fit perfectly....

2. Even if it persists there is little repertoire you go that high on the E .

I dont know much about violin wolf notes but, on cellos the wolf is usually on the lower strings, especially the G in 4th position (F or F#). Sometimes the same note on the C. An isolated wolf on the highest string is very unusual. Anything that dampens vibrations could reduce a wolf.

2 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

It's the lower G  - 1st position, finger 2.

That would've been a valuable piece of information right at the beginning.... 

I noticed many a time a small indentation forms in the f/b right about that place and causes something similar to what you described. But if with a lowered pitch the problem moved to A then it might be somewhere else. I would triple check if the post fits right (and it's not too far back) given that you bought it years ago and just started using it. Post and bridge fits don't last forever.

3 hours ago, Carl Stross said:

Sorry, I don't understand : what's your picture for ?

It's musical notation indicating the note in question.

20 minutes ago, Carl Stross said:

That would've been a valuable piece of information right at the beginning.... 

It was given right at the beginning. Are you having a bad day?

6 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Try a new and different E-string.

Try putting a skin on the bridge E-string groove to protect it instead of the plastic tube.

Went out and bought 2.  Not counting the new dominant I'd just fitted .  Also same effect with a gut E.

2 hours ago, sospiri said:

It's musical notation indicating the note in question.

It was given right at the beginning. Are you having a bad day?

There are a couple of places on E where one can play a G using 2nd finger. One would be ( memory serving... ) at the end of a standard f/board. He wrote : "and found it had a G (finger 2) on the E string that wasn't very stable - it kinda fluttered". The G an octave past the one discussed often "flutters" in some sense. There are a couple of other troublesome notes on an E string and one EASY to misjudge thing is if it's the actual note or something adjacent.