Maestronet Forums

Fantastic bow...er...yes?

The frog is backwards because people are idiots. It is really amazing how little people know about even the basics of the violin environment. The bow is obviously a silver mounted German bow, but after I asked they posted an additional picture Of the stamp, which is Hermann...It seems they didn’t think to look over the bow when they posted the item. Why? See my first…

and @Rothwein hahahaha

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Well, it is too bad that not everyone is as smart as you.

Hopefully, they are also not as generally insulting, either.

Everyone seems super sensitive just now. Philip is generally the least snarky person on the board and has taken taken more than his fair share of barbed comments. I think it fair comment that in this case, 'people are idiots' . :D

55 minutes ago, Televet said:

Everyone seems super sensitive just now. Philip is generally the least snarky person on the board and has taken taken more than his fair share of barbed comments. I think it fair comment that in this case, 'people are idiots' . :D

I don’t specially care about referring to someone as an idiot who 1) will never read this and 2) totally deserves the appellation.

One thing I have learned in my long and turbulent life is “if you don’t know, ask someone who does.”

Plus, every now and then it is rather refreshing to describe something accurately rather than politely.

And thank you very kindly for your kind words. 

19 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I don’t specially care about referring to someone as an idiot who 1) will never read this and 2) totally deserves the appellation.

One thing I have learned in my long and turbulent life is “if you don’t know, ask someone who does.”

Plus, every now and then it is rather refreshing to describe something accurately rather than politely.

You are most welcome. 

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

[Peers into her "Bag of Pejoratives".]

I feel that, given the evidence presented, and some of the alternatives available, your merely calling them "idiots" was quite restrained.  Since that word is, however, much overused, would you consider "dolts", instead?  :huh:  :lol:

37 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

[Peers into her "Bag of Pejoratives".]

I feel that, given the evidence presented, and some of the alternatives available, your merely calling them "idiots" was quite restrained.  Since that word is, however, much overused, would you consider "dolts", instead?  :huh:  :lol:

How would you wish to be addressed?

1 hour ago, sospiri said:

Yes. It's a nice violin and bow in what looks to be good condition for its age. $1000 or thereabouts is a fair price.

See the long bass bar crack? And who can tell about the bow? It looks like the head is missing the tip plate.

30 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

See the long bass bar crack? And who can tell about the bow? It looks like the head is missing the tip plate.

The long bass bar crack looks like a string.

It does look like there may be cracks though. Photos are lousy though.  I would never bid for anything with bad photos.

The long bass bar crack looks like a string.

It is definitely a crack. Follow it, and you will see. There is only string on that fiddle, and it is the E-string. It is a wreck of a violin. My guess is that the bow is, too.

Whenever one considers bidding on something on Goodwill, one should assume that it has been examined by a luthier before it was donated, and the decision to donate it was made based on the luthier's evaluation of "not worth repairing." I think that is why so many wrecks end up there.

I would never bid for anything with bad photos.

Good. Please continue. Bad photos can scare away competitive bids. :-)

In this case, the photos were quite adequate to evaluate the horrid condition of the violin.