Maestronet Forums

Was this an attempt to re-varnish?

LilHobbit

I was looking at a violin  I've been contemplating purchasing and having a closer look at the viokin itself, I have a question about the varnish.  It looks like this violin has a medium brown varnish on it as well as a darker brown varnish.  I'm beginning to wonder if the darker varnish came long afterwards?  There are many spots in which it goes over top of the purfling and looks kind of "messy".  Is this something that was done by makers on purpose?  Or was it more likely that this was someone years after the fact that "re-varnished" it in an attempt to fix or update it?  If it was the latter, how hard would it be to remove that top dark brown varnish and restore it to its former beauty?

403649BA-F2BD-43FD-A2E3-169B25ACEF5F.thumb.jpeg.a8754d8e9890cd31789f364ac75a16c6.jpeg

55083BA2-FD7D-41C8-9C29-67CA0E72BBDD.thumb.jpeg.03ca65ea74be802b35a51167e16b304b.jpeg

58E88E99-21D4-4E88-A8E9-B24142F147EB.thumb.jpeg.3eb1afbdfe59633d6f8954fbd2710710.jpeg

ECC560F0-33FF-4BAC-99C2-87BF04F49934.thumb.jpeg.28bdb686ff4edfdbc67631722ebddb0e.jpeg

A151A0B9-2B51-4B5A-988E-9E0F405DFF60.jpeg

Just now, jacobsaunders said:

it is a perfectly standard Vogtländische varnish, ie. was originally so

Thanks!  I'm completely unfamiliar with vanishing techniques and methods so wasn't sure if that was normal.  

For my education, why would one antique their instrument to this extent? It doesn't simulate natural wear pattern, unless there are those who like to rub around the f-holes or clutch the violin tightly and rub the bottom of the belly with one's thumbs!

13 minutes ago, milkpowder said:

For my education, why would one antique their instrument to this extent? It doesn't simulate natural wear pattern, unless there are those who like to rub around the f-holes or clutch the violin tightly and rub the bottom of the belly with one's thumbs!

I think it neither possible nor worth striving for, to second guess somebody's motivations from 100 years ago. One must simply ascertain that this varnish and wear pattern was fairly common, so that somebody seems to have spent his working life doing it again and again

2 hours ago, Rue said:

They weren't necessarily rattling around. Most were likely swaddled in a cloth of some sort.

Speaking of which, totally not related to varnish antiquing, I was cruising around Etsy one day and came across these lovely "violin bags".  I saw this listing and immediately messaged the seller asking if they sold fiddles, or if that pretty one in the listing was her own.  She laughed and said um no, I don't sell fiddles and yes that's my French Derazey model :)  Eh, it was worth a shot and the bags are fabulous! 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/819505134/violin-handkerchief-combo-cherry-flowers

Pretty!!!

There is a question though, if a blanket is better than a bag?  Apparently you're more likely to have an oopsie getting a violin out of a bag versus having it in a blanket.

100% silk is also said to be best.

17 hours ago, Rue said:

Pretty!!!

There is a question though, if a blanket is better than a bag?  Apparently you're more likely to have an oopsie getting a violin out of a bag versus having it in a blanket.

100% silk is also said to be best.

It really is a matter of preference. I prefer a blanket, and the main compartment at the chinrest end. 

However, swaddling provides plenty of protection should your case go skidding down the sledding hill!