Maestronet Forums

Viola Bow of the Gods?

OK so I was trying to hard to come up with a good topic title.......

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2199355392&cpid=3722788864&filter_key=

This at least looks interesting and it is a nice weight.

Here is the condition report.

It comes with a pretty fancy cert. too.

Subject: Condition report for Lot 33 | June 2021 London

logo-email.png

Thank you for requesting the following condition report in our June 2021 London auction:

Lot 33 – A FRENCH VIOLA BOW OF THE PECCATTE - MAIRE SCHOOL
l96149tip.jpg
Head: minor marks.
Stick: slight marks.
Handle: chips to mortice.
Frog: chips and filler to upper edge, filler to ebony cheek (audience side), minor crack to upper edge (player side).
Button: cracks to ebony, 2 mm crack to front ring.

DLB

30 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Viola Bow of the Gods”

I would have thought the operative words would be “Unstamped” “Ironwood” "Nickel Mounted” and “School of”, but there is no accounting for religion:)

Viola bow of the infidels?? I kind of liked the head and they must have paid a bit for that Cert.  I'm tying not to be such a snob when it comes to Nickel and Ironwood.  

DLB

DSC_0004.thumb.JPG.fdb03a7362dd6e46814ac7bc2afa11e3.JPG

11 hours ago, martin swan said:

I would assume the certificate came free with the bow ....

Personally I have never heard of the school of Maire/Peccatte - I think that's a way of saying it looks a bit like a Maire and a bit like a Peccatte but definitely neither!

Maires style  was supposedly influenced by Peccatte in the 1850`s  in Paris. Its a nice looking bow and some of them play very well. I had a exotic wood one in almost mint condition a while back ,but Raffin described it as just Maire school. You see the more Peccatte infleunce on the Tarisio one in the slightly less round head of the frog and shorter toe of the frog. Funny how mine was circa 1850 and the tarisio one 1845 ,sort of oppisite to my understanding of  timeline of Peccattes influence on Maire. Dont listen to Jacob who thinks anything not silver mounted isnt a real bow.:D

7 minutes ago, sospiri said:

The Tarisio bow has a flat face. Me no like.

Curved or slightly curved it's gotta be for me.

Many 19th century French makers have very little or no curve to the faceplate ,if thats what you mean. I assume you dont like early French bows??:)

The bow you illustrate is far more refined - the Tarisio bow has this sort of axe head, overly broad front to back.

I'm quite keen on "bois exotique", sold a couple of F. Peccattes which played superbly. Even this "ironwood" can be good for viola bows.

And of course, plenty of nickel bows, particularly Pajeot ...

I just feel that with the Tarisio bow the materials, the workmanship and the equivocal certificate don't add up to "viola bow of the gods". Having said that' the estimate is very conservative.

31 minutes ago, fiddlecollector said:

Many 19th century French makers have very little or no curve to the faceplate ,if thats what you mean. I assume you dont like early French bows??:)

I don't know enough about the history.

I do like the 'Ironwood' in the Tarisio bow. What type of 'Ironwood' is that? 

19 minutes ago, martin swan said:

The bow you illustrate is far more refined - the Tarisio bow has this sort of axe head, overly broad front to back.

I'm quite keen on "bois exotique", sold a couple of F. Peccattes which played superbly. Even this "ironwood" can be good for viola bows.

I just feel that with the Tarisio bow the materials, the workmanship and the equivocal certificate don't add up to "viola bow of the gods". Having said that' the estimate is very conservative.

One of my other gripes is poor adjuster alignment. I want to be able to drill or mill with hand tools and get the job done so that it all lines up properly if not perfectly.

I don't know how to proceed. Also my chamfers have to be good enough, if not as good as some of your examples.

3 hours ago, martin swan said:

I suppose its sort of a personal thing.  F peccattes and maire school can often be very wide front to back of the head and often weird shapes. Maline bows can have that look but when you view them in person they dont look particularly heavy.The Tarisio one has a heavy masculine appearance which i dont mind . `viola bow of the gods`, is a bit of a silly title though, sorry Dwight:D

34 minutes ago, sospiri said:

One of my other gripes is poor adjuster alignment. I want to be able to drill or mill with hand tools and get the job done so that it all lines up properly if not perfectly.

I don't know how to proceed. Also my chamfers have to be good enough, if not as good as some of your examples.

Rodney Mohr did a series of videos on youtube last year where in one episode he goes into alot of detail of how to drill the hole for the screw using a bow drill  . Check them out.  A D drill bit is often useful to stop the drill bit wandering. (which you would have to make yourself.) Other makers use a lathe .etc...

30 minutes ago, fiddlecollector said:

Rodney Mohr did a series of videos on youtube last year where in one episode he goes into alot of detail of how to drill the hole for the screw using a bow drill  . Check them out.  A D drill bit is often useful to stop the drill bit wandering. (which you would have to make yourself.) Other makers use a lathe .etc...

I will take a look at his videos, thanks fiddlecollector. Should I make a simple lathe? 

I'm doing most things by hand including sawing bow blanks. It's very time consuming but worth it to maximise yield of the good stuff.

From what I can see in photos it looks to me as if Dominique Pecatte was the taper guru. I know how important the taper is. Too much turns good wood into a tomato stick. It's an art in itself. I'm going to work extra carefully on this. 

1 hour ago, fiddlecollector said:

a bit of a silly title though, sorry Dwight:D

I couldn't agree more :-)  I was rather hoping to cue the Wagner about now :-)

As far as the bow goes I rather like the broad head and the somewhat early design sense.  The other plus is it isn't terribly expensive. I do tend to enjoy the strange and unusual.  After all I own a plastic car!

Thanks for coming by folks.

DLB

I'm afraid a number of us probably circled this one - I know I did as soon as the catalogue came out - so it may well go over estimate. My experience with making ironwood bows (in its varieties), or with old French ones, has been uneven. Sometimes outstanding results, other times disappointing. I will definitely be trying this one out!

1 hour ago, fiddlecollector said:

The

The tarisio bow wood is probably Wamara .

Sounds Australian. Let me google that...

Okay, Mexico, Central America and Northern Sout America. Dense, stiff and pretty. 

Not on the Cites list. Where can I get some?