Maestronet Forums

Thoughts?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Clare@Iscaviolins said:

The use of the term Aspergers has fallen out of favour because Dr. Asperger, after whom the syndrome was named, had ties to the Nazis and their child euthanization programme

Double oh brother.

I await the day that Columbus Ohio decides to change the name of their city…

1 hour ago, Rothwein said:

There's a significant difference between “having Asperger's“ and just being an a§§hole. Either way, fliegt die Scheiße nicht bei mir. Lay off, Philip. Now I have to take my nightlies.

I understand German, but I have no idea what you meant, I’m not laying on anything. Have fun with your nightly

Apologizing to you, then. But protracted discussion of “diagnoses“ and what medications one requires due to their disagreement with the prevailing wisdom very much detract from my enjoyment of this forum.

And yes, “Some of my best friends...“ etc.

19 hours ago, Rue said:

I believe "Asperger's" has also become pejorative. It's now ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). So, you are on the spectrum. 

That's the crucial word. We're all "on" countless spectra, in other words variations of normal which can be unfortunate if you happen to be too far from the mean. Labels are bipolar (no I'm not talking about that, or the other) I mean yes or no, which completely fails to convey the true situation.

18 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

And yes my Asbergers it whatever it is is the source of my creativity. I am happy with who I am.

It's good that Philip is comfortable with the label of Asperger's (serene to the point that he can't even be bothered to spell-check it), as are many people who live happy, productive, normal lives. That's absolutely fine but personally I'd rather not be labelled at all, particularly if I were to achieve between 25 and 30 on the psychopath test. I can conceive of a time when "borderline" individuals who are regarded as normal in the US are refused entry to the UK.

(Mod hat on)

I think this thread has diverged enough at this point. 

We should return to the original topic or just let it rest.

The additional topics discussed here are of course important and interesting in themselves, but this is probably not the best place for these discussions.

9 hours ago, matesic said:

That's the crucial word. We're all "on" countless spectra, in other words variations of normal which can be unfortunate if you happen to be too far from the mean. Labels are bipolar (no I'm not talking about that, or the other) I mean yes or no, which completely fails to convey the true situation.

It's good that Philip is comfortable with the label of Asperger's (serene to the point that he can't even be bothered to spell-check it), as are many people who live happy, productive, normal lives. That's absolutely fine but personally I'd rather not be labelled at all, particularly if I were to achieve between 25 and 30 on the psychopath test. I can conceive of a time when "borderline" individuals who are regarded as normal in the US are refused entry to the UK.

I don’t understand why “labels” or so negative. They certainly can be, but Aspergers( yeah I am now aware I spelled it incorrectly, but that just shows how little it bothers me) or Autism are real things, and renaming them accomplishes nothing. Having ADD/ADHD or whatever it is that I have, which wasn’t even a thing when I was child, so far as I know, is not a negative thing. No different from me being brunette, or having astigmatism.I would never ask someone outright if they had any condition at all, because that’s rude, but having it isn’t wrong and shouldn’t interfere with anyone’s interactions.

and that’s my last on the subject, I realize that we did go far afield, and I’d rather talk about violins anyway.

15 hours ago, violinnewb said:

Too many fake labels out there. 

No kidding. The violin cited in the OP makes the analogy perfectly. Labels can distort the public perception

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 11:37 AM, fragslap said:

Alas, no -- per the Goodwill site:

"Unfortunately purchases made through Goodwill would not be tax deductible, only donations made to Goodwill would qualify as being tax deductible. When you purchase an item through shopgoodwill.com you are paying fair market value for the item."

Not to mention that I've heard numerous times that stuff donated to Goodwill is sold for profit for the business and is not used for any kind charity anyway.