Maestronet Forums

Plaster of Paris ground

violins88

13 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Uh oh, has Walla Walla become a haven for sissy-thinkers, believing that they are morally superior, without any objective evidence?

My grandfather, who owned a farm near Walla Walla, and my mother who grew up there, were actually doers, not posers. Would I be totally wrong by characterizing Walla Walla today as a fairly wealthy wine-producing area, which has mostly lost touch with its roots, people like my mother and her father?

-

I'm not interested in engaging with projection. 

As to objectivity on morality, read Kant.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Uh oh, has Walla Walla become a haven for sissy-thinkers, believing that they are morally superior, without any objective evidence?

My grandfather, who owned a farm near Walla Walla, and my mother who grew up there, were actually doers, not posers. Would I be totally wrong by characterizing Walla Walla today as a fairly wealthy wine-producing area, which has mostly lost touch with its roots, people like my mother and her father?

-

That's right, he has absolutely no proof that I'm not retarded. There he goes again, making fun of the handicapped and us poor Jews.

Ka-Boom!  This topic has exploded.  Peter K-G innocently used the word "retarded."  

Anyone read the papers that John Hart posted?  There is a new technique that is BIG!  OCT--a method to image layers and particulates without damaging the varnish.  The instrument of interest is a Storioni.  And yes, a protein layer is observed adjacent to the wood and a particulate layer over that.  The analyzed site is under the fingerboard.

It is probably too late to salvage this initial topic--too bad.

Mike D

1 minute ago, Mike_Danielson said:

Ka-Boom!  This topic has exploded.  Peter K-G innocently used the word "retarded."  

Anyone read the papers that John Hart posted?  There is a new technique that is BIG!  OCT--a method to image layers and particulates without damaging the varnish.  The instrument of interest is a Storioni.  And yes, a protein layer is observed adjacent to the wood and a particulate layer over that.  The analyzed site is under the fingerboard.

Mike D

no, its not, one tells a witty yet veiled and disparaging comment and we all move on.

4 hours ago, David Burgess said:

-

The beginning of the end was probably when those parents and grandparents (pbuh) raised a generation of insecure brats who think it's the height of impropriety to ask them not to slur.

24 minutes ago, MMarsden said:

The beginning of the end was probably when those parents and grandparents (pbuh) raised a generation of insecure brats who think it's the height of impropriety to ask them not to slur.

the inquisition is here and it's here to stay! btw alcoholics are people too, just because they slur doesn't mean they're all bad ya know., and well thanks to safe spaces we don't have to worry about insecurity anymore, we've traded our freedom for security like 20 years ago, and I've been offended ever since.....you can never be too safe you know!....or can you? which of course makes me wonder , are they wrong about glue wash grounds? maybe it was more common than we think?

1 minute ago, jezzupe said:

the inquisition is here and it's here to stay! btw alcoholics are people too, just because they slur doesn't mean they're all bad ya know., and well thanks to safe spaces we don't have to worry about insecurity anymore, we've traded our freedom for security like 20 years ago, and I've been offended ever since.....you can never be too safe you know!....or can you? which of course makes me wonder , are they wrong about glue wash grounds? maybe it was more common than we think?

"are they wrong about glue wash grounds?" when I say "they" I mean "those people"

16 minutes ago, Peter K-G said:

It's like a minefield :o

And it's not MN and it's not they or those people.

The problem is man kind

I see no other options than gloves off and go for it, big violent bar fight GO... 

I refuse to stoop to the level of an animal, with physical violence, we are all equal here, it's just that, well... some of us are more equal than others :lol:

Just now, Peter K-G said:

You mean step up to the level of animals and never go for violance, just for the sake of it.

It's only man kind that are on that lowest level ;)

1 minute ago, Peter K-G said:

You mean step up to the level of animals and never go for violance, just for the sake of it.

It's only man kind that are on that lowest level ;)

Well ya, but that's just because we have projectile weapons, just wait until raccoons figure out they can pull a trigger. {insert video of monkey with machine gun here.} I still think that the strong pull to want to take the easy way out and wash an instrument in glue is always there and that the more instruments we examine with the new technology, the more instruments we will find that have "protein" layers that may or may not have been modified in ways that would avoid detection, or not scream "glue wash" 

3 minutes ago, Peter K-G said:

Don't be offended now, but I have to go to bed 00:25 and the sun at North horizon 

Zzzzz

Don't worry, I live in a gilded cage where nothing can get to me "lalalalalala I can't hear you" , good night Peta'

22 hours ago, chiaroscuro_violins said:

How long do you let it tan for?  I'm a cheapskate so I just use nature's UV box, Mr. Sun.  I give it three weeks at minimum.  

Wood tans because of tannin, not because of lots of exposure to UV. Some spruce tans in a few weeks without lots of UV. Another piece might barely tan at all.

3 hours ago, MMarsden said:

Evidently, the words "insecure" and "brats" have not been banned yet. :D

This argument started over Peter saying that Americans talk funny. I think he means dumbed down colloquialisms. He Obviously doesn't watch enough American TV shows and movies, so it all sounds stupid to him. The poetry of the uneducated American working man is lost on him.

6 hours ago, Mike_Danielson said:

Mike D

Yes, I downloaded  those papers (good recommendations from John Harte) and am poorer by about a $100 IIRC. The Claudia Invernizzi, et al. paper is very good. The violin of interest for me is Strad’s Cremonese, a Golden Period violin. I’m still studying these papers.

Why do some people consistently torpedo threads just when they are getting good? Just asking for a friend.

12 minutes ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Yes, I downloaded  those papers (good recommendations from John Harte) and am poorer by about a $100 IIRC. The Claudia Invernizzi, et al. paper is very good. The violin of interest for me is Strad’s Cremonese, a Golden Period violin. I’m still studying these papers.

Why do some people consistently torpedo threads just when they are getting good? Just asking for a friend.

What she say? Give us the skinny?

19 minutes ago, Michael_Molnar said:

I'll take the blame for this. I didn't imagine my post regarding Peter's inadvertent use of an ableist slur would take things this far off the rails. In the future, I will make such suggestions via private message. Mea culpa.

2 hours ago, sospiri said:

Wood tans because of tannin, not because of lots of exposure to UV. Some spruce tans in a few weeks without lots of UV. Another piece might barely tan at all.

That's fair.  I really didn't know if it's the UV.  All I know is it gets a nice color from sunlight.  This fiddle was in the sun for three weeks (after linseed oil) with the fingerboard in place.  

20210524_211403.jpg

People are just getting too sensitive. Over on an automotive site we were discussing ignition timing, and when I posted about the timing being retarded, the website censored my post and replaced it with what it thought was a less offensive synonym. It wasn't even close.